EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-11, 09:39 PM   #1
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Should I insulate garage door ?

Should I insulate garage door with those panels? I'm in moderate climate in Sacramento, in a 2-story with bedrooms above the garage, and the door is that simple tin roll-up door. What does garage door insulation do for me, is it worth it?

eco dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 02:55 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I'd first insulate the ceiling of the garage. How cold does the garage get? Is the garage sealed well? Are the walls insulated? There are lots of things to do before the garage door itself I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 03:25 PM   #3
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

It's a two story house, with the bedroom's above the garage. The garage is fully finished so insulating any ceilings/walls has already been done. Garage temps are usually whatever the outside is. No seals that I can think of, just from the door sliding up and down and the gaps around that. It does facs directly south/SW. What benefit will I get if I insulate the door?
Old 12-13-11, 12:27 PM   #4
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I would try to block off the gaps around the door before adding insulation.

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 01:12 PM   #5
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Can you give me some idea's on how you would seal these gaps?
Old 12-18-11, 08:03 AM   #6
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Possible foam strips, take a few pictures and we will see what we can come up with.

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 11:17 AM   #7
raydias
Lurking Renovator

When I bought my 2nd house i had the builder insulate the garage door. My previous house had no insulation and as luck would have it the garage faces the same direction. I can tell you that the insulation of the door does help a lot. in the summer my old house garage felt like an oven in the summer and freezer in the winter to the point i would just leave beer out in the garage in the winter and always had cold bear. In my new house in the summer when the temp outside was 105 the garage was still 85. and in the winter when it was 20 outside the garage was still in the 50-60 range. the insulation is fairly reasonable at Lowe's or Home Depot. One thing I haven't done is what was already suggested, using weather striping around the exterior door.

You should also be able to claim a tax credit for the improvement. I believe it falls under the energy efficiency programs. Ask you tax person.