EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-16, 10:13 AM   #111
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Any word on when you get inspected?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 11:18 AM   #112
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Any word on when you get inspected?

About 9AM yesterday.

It passed with flying colors. The inspector even complimented the quality of the workmanship. He said it was easy tell it was done by a pro.

I just kept my mouth shut and passed the compliment onto my friends that helped out; they were proud parents of their solar baby.

Now I am just waiting for the City Building Dept to send the "go ahead" letter to the power company. My originally proposed meter install date was December 28th, so we are on track or ahead of schedule with the power company.

The power company just tried to kill solar in Utah with a proposal to the utilities commission. I worked hard to spread the word and we had a pretty big petition sent to the PUC; the result was that the power company backed off and retracted the proposed changes. I'm sure they will try again.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 11:46 AM   #113
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Excellent! One step closer.
You must be very excited! I am excited for you.
It is so much fun seeing the power meter run backwards.

We are so small here my inspector just called his office and they called the power company. The next day they installed my meter.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-16-16)
Old 12-17-16, 09:54 PM   #114
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
The power company just tried to kill solar in Utah with a proposal to the utilities commission. I worked hard to spread the word and we had a pretty big petition sent to the PUC; the result was that the power company backed off and retracted the proposed changes. I'm sure they will try again.
Yes, yes they will... The power companies will throw millions of dollars into PACs and advertising campaigns against personal PV systems, while spending tens of millions installing their own solar arrays if the math proves that solar can earn them money. Obviously, the 4.4kW array on my roof, and the threat of neighborhoods full of similar systems spurred the power companies of the "Sunshine State" to try to pass a state constitutional amendment to kill solar. I don't consider the fight over... This is merely the beginning.

Congrats on passing the inspection process.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-17-16)
Old 12-21-16, 02:09 PM   #115
Roostre
EcoLearner

Because I accidentally mucked up and posted in pinballooking's DIY solar thread, I will post it here too.

City mailed the approval letter to the power company on Monday. Hopefully they can get the meter in before the week is out, but I'm guessing it may be after Christmas. My original agreement with them had the meter install date as December 28th. They may just abide by that.
Old 12-21-16, 02:18 PM   #116
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I would get a copy of the letter and email it or fax it to power company. Call the power company and see if they will move it up the meter install.

Once my inspector office called the power company I called the power company right away that helped get my meter installed the next day.
It can’t hurt to try.

It is fine to post in my solar thread. We all post our solar results there each month. It is a great place to show solar can work for the DIY installer.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-29-16, 10:54 AM   #117
Roostre
EcoLearner

I took your advice and scanned a copy of my inspection receipt to the power co.

The holidays must be slowing them down. Here it is December 29th and I just a few minutes ago received a reply:

Good Morning!

The net metering application has been approved, and we have received the inspection. The next step is to have the net meter scheduled to be set. Once the net meter is set you will receive a closure e-mail and completed application/agreement for your records.

I replied and asked if "we needed to do anything to get this scheduled?"

Getting closer...
Old 12-29-16, 11:03 AM   #118
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I would call them to schedule a install on Friday.

When I was checking into tax credits they said the system needed to be commissioned and go live in that year to for the tax credits. I did not look into this to closely as I went live in April but you might want to check just to be sure.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-29-16, 11:34 AM   #119
Roostre
EcoLearner

Their reply:

No nothing more needs to be done….the metermen were notified the very same moment you were via E-Mail. General rule is 10 business days from the date of notification….with the holidays, we may need to push that a day or two further. We should hear on this by Jan 9th or 10th.

Hope that helps.

Thanks and Happy New Year

As far as going live; due to the language in the agreement I have been able to produce power for a few days for "testing and commissioning" and have screenshots of the data from the SolarEdge site. I've been told by 2 competent CPAs that I am Ok for the tax credits. Not much I can do about the power company. (Not a local company, it's a Berkshire Hathaway investment vehicle managed from 3 states away. )
Old 12-29-16, 11:39 AM   #120
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

AS long as you are good on the tax credits it will all fall into place.
Maybe some more testing needs to be done just to make sure everything is in working order.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-29-16)