EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-23-15, 10:43 AM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default cooking with PRESSURE slow cooker?

I love my slow cooker but it may be time for a new one. Have been seeing claims on Sealed slow cookers.. I have used my Grandmas pressure cooker and understand principles butis stove top type with no antistick advantages. ANyone cooking with the "pressure" style crock pot or versions of it? Do they speed cooking time by any useful amount? Lg meats, etc.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
...Have been seeing claims on Sealed slow cookers.. I have used my Grandmas pressure cooker and understand principles butis stove top type with no antistick advantages. ANyone cooking with the "pressure" style crock pot or versions of it?..
I'm not convinced that anything like a pressure-slow-cooker even exists. This might be like hunting for unicorns...

Can you post links to the information you have found?

-AC
Old 03-25-15, 10:22 AM   #3
Drake
DIY Guy

Have seen an infomercial on a counter top one. Don't recall exact name name. 'Super cooker"?? maybe. I don't pay much interest in infomercials but the concept sounded intriguing. Also seeing several store brands with seal latch covered slow cookers that though are probably not true hi-pressure cookers must be trying to create some level of pressure. Big box stores in my area seem to be trending that way on all newer slow cookers
Old 03-25-15, 03:03 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Have seen an infomercial on a counter top one. Don't recall exact name name. 'Super cooker"?? maybe. I don't pay much interest in infomercials but the concept sounded intriguing. Also seeing several store brands with seal latch covered slow cookers that though are probably not true hi-pressure cookers must be trying to create some level of pressure. Big box stores in my area seem to be trending that way on all newer slow cookers
Oh, I see...

I have a friend that goes for those late night infomercials... His kitchen is swamped with useless cooking thingies. Pretty sad, really.

-AC
Old 03-25-15, 07:56 PM   #5
stevehull
Steve Hull

Could this be it?

BrevilleŽ Pressure and Slow Cooker | Sur La Table

This looks like a pressure cooker and slow cooker in one unit. But I don't think you do both at the same time.

Steve
Old 03-26-15, 01:09 PM   #6
mackstann
Lurking Renovator

A pressure cooker cooks quickly, so it would not be a slow cooker at all.
mackstann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 02:16 PM   #7
Drake
DIY Guy

I'm not endorsing any infomercial products and I will have to look closer at the slow cookers I have been seeing with latch sealed covers. But single unit induction cookers are a infomercial mainstay and have brought them to the attention of many even if their marketing or overall quality is questioned. It doesn't make their concept all bad or worthless. Maybe they just need a little DIY reengineering.

I concede stove top hi pressure cooking would be faster than a slow cooker but might low pressure(which is what sealed cover must do) cook faster than just a slow cooker is what I am wondering if anyone if experiencing if they have one with sealed cover.
Old 03-28-15, 07:33 AM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Like Trash Washing Up On The Ocean Shore

Quote:
I'm not endorsing any infomercial products and I will have to look closer at the slow cookers I have been seeing with latch sealed covers. But single unit induction cookers are a infomercial mainstay and have brought them to the attention of many even if their marketing or overall quality is questioned. It doesn't make their concept all bad or worthless. Maybe they just need a little DIY reengineering.

I concede stove top hi pressure cooking would be faster than a slow cooker but might low pressure(which is what sealed cover must do) cook faster than just a slow cooker is what I am wondering if anyone if experiencing if they have one with sealed cover.
In my experience, the main reason that people use slow cookers is that they are slow. It opens up new possibilities, in that you can put the ingredients for a stew (for instance) in a pot, turn the pot on, leave the pot unattended, go to work, and arrive home to perfectly cooked food. I have used them before, they work great.

Contrawise, the main reason that people use pressure cookers is that they are fast. Using one can cut cooking time by as much as 66 percent. I have used them before, they work great.

I really do think that the concept of combining both cookers into one is, to paraphrase your words, a bad and worthless concept, for anyone who might consider wasting their money on one of these things.

For telemarketers, it is a dream product to unload on fuzzy-headed buyers who are too blitzed out and mentally weakened by their state of tele-hypnosis to think clearly.

Since the name of this thread is "Appliances and Gadgets", I think that you have bought what you thought could be an appliance, but turned out to be a gadget of little value.

I see this kind of worthless stuff washing into thrift stores all over town, like trash washing up to defile the ocean shore. I don't even watch any television that has any kind of commercials, and when I go into a thrift store, even I can differentiate the telemarket products from useful appliances that were cleverly invented to solve real problems.

Regarding appropriate DIY action...
  1. Grasp the telemarket product with the right hand
  2. Walk outside to a trash can
  3. Use the left hand to open the lid of the trash can
  4. Use the right hand to position the telemarket product over the open trash can
  5. Release the telemarket product
  6. Replace the lid of the trash can
  7. Walk back inside, knowing that you have made the world a better place
Sincerely,

-AC
stevehull (03-28-15)
Old 03-28-15, 12:23 PM   #9
Drake
DIY Guy

I use my slow cooker as many as three days a week and often is because as you suggest it cooks while unattended for long periods. I also use it when I am around and wish to cook quicker because it is of value to me to have only one container to wash. So a single appliance that could do both is of value to me. My original question was to hear from anyone that maybe cooking with one if they considers it a "gadget". Or if just a counter top pressure cooker could be a consideration in a alternate kitchen appliance paradigm. I know what the name of the thread is, I have not purchased anything which is why I am asking for constructive opinions before I may and not asking for a lecture on marketing strategies or bullet point instructions of what I should do with what you may feel has no worth to you.
Old 03-29-15, 09:52 AM   #10
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
...and not asking for a lecture on marketing strategies or bullet point instructions of what I should do with what you may feel has no worth to you.
OK, I may have spoken out of turn. I made a mistake by thinking that even though you have access to a computer, you were too lacking in motivation to do your own research on a worthless telemarketed product, and you somehow expected other people to become mentally engaged and do your research for you (Consumer Report).

Since this is a forum that is meant for the discussion of renovations and modifications that could substantially reduce out collective burden on the earth (and save us money in the meantime), and since innovation is highly prized here...

Maybe there are other uses that your slow/pressure cooker could be put to, since you don't want to throw it away...

* Maybe it could be useful for restoring out-of-date-paint. I actually have this problem, and I have too many gallons of paint in the cellar. I have no actual reason to believe that this would work, but maybe if you poured your paint into the cooker, and applied some heat to it for 4-to-8 hours, it could re-vitalize your old paint.

* Maybe it could be used as a reptile display appliance. This could be really useful. You wouldn't want to actually cook your reptiles, though that could be another use. You'd want to use a Pulse Width Modulated temperature controller to maintain the critical temperature. I have bought PWM controllers from China, and they work extremely well, even though their price is very low. You'd be able to keep your lizards at a healty and happy temperature of +/- half degree. Very stable.

* Here's on that just came to me... Frozen and rusted parts can be a real problem, so maybe you could put the frozen/rusted parts in the slow-cooker and fill it up with WD-40, and let her cook for 5 or 6 hours. Even with the locking lid, you'd be best advised to leave the cooker out in the garage, as the fumes could be had for your health.

* A fern planter I actually feel a little guilty because this is so obvious. Cutting the cord would be important here.

Well, that's all I can think of now. Other creative uses may occur to me later.

Best,

-AC