EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-14, 07:18 PM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default New Eco build started!!

Foundation construction has begun on the long planned build of a winter core addition to our retirement cottage that will have full basement for year round utilities. It will be super insulated, 50% passive solar, high mass radiant floor heated space that we can retreat to in the coolest weather and fully heat only a third of the existing area(the rest will be like a large three season porch, which is already passive design and very rarely drops below freezing even unheated in winter. I am looking forward to putting into application many of the ideas discussed on this site and watching for future improvements that will help us improve our frugal consumptive footprint on the world, AND SAVE MONEY.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-14, 08:58 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Foundation construction has begun on the long planned build of a winter core addition to our retirement cottage that will have full basement for year round utilities...
Good luck on your new build!!

Remember... lots of photos!

Best,

-AC
Old 07-06-14, 10:13 PM   #3
Drake
DIY Guy

Thanks, This season goal is to underpin two wall of existing concrete frost footings to full 9' depth with block(just finished) and complete other two new walls with perm wood foundation. Pretty standard building but a little over engineered in the footing/floor drainage and ability to hold up a 4" poured in place arched radiant first floor for both passive and radiant high mass. Thank goodness for Ebay/Craig's list or the budget would already be blown on stainless steel nails, lol.
Old 07-07-14, 09:47 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a great project. I second the lots of pictures vote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 02:09 PM   #5
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Foundation construction has begun on the long planned build of a winter core addition to our retirement cottage that will have full basement for year round utilities. It will be super insulated, 50% passive solar, high mass radiant floor heated space that we can retreat to in the coolest weather and fully heat only a third of the existing area(the rest will be like a large three season porch, which is already passive design and very rarely drops below freezing even unheated in winter. I am looking forward to putting into application many of the ideas discussed on this site and watching for future improvements that will help us improve our frugal consumptive footprint on the world, AND SAVE MONEY.
Not being nosy (don't have to say), but what is the general area you are in? (just wondering what kind of climate, conditions). I'm around LSE, i see you are around MSP. My family has some land just SE of Minneapolis (in Wisconsin). International Falls, Grand Marais? Up on a ridge, valley, flat land, marsh, sand?

Sounds awesome. Wish i had a retreat.
warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 03:37 PM   #6
Drake
DIY Guy

A few miles SE of Lake Mille Lacs. Building site is top of a south facing meadow hillside just inside a hard wood area. No walkout, heavy clay/rock soil, but enough elavatio for gravity daylight drainage and sewer.
Old 10-22-14, 10:49 AM   #7
dion90
Lurking Renovator

Great Project.. I hope Success
dion90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 11:44 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Can we get some updates please?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 08:29 PM   #9
Drake
DIY Guy

I plan to post some photos and details soon. Have been scrambling to complete, temp cover and somewhat winterize foundation for the season to begin again in spring. Early winter is not what I needed. More soon.
Old 11-26-14, 08:28 AM   #10
Drake
DIY Guy

Just wrapping up first season construction of foundation for new eco "winter core" addition to our retirement "cabin". Fairly standard with two walls concrete 48" frost footings that needed to be underpinned to full depth and two walls beefed up PWF to support 1st floor 4" poured in place radiant slab. Sub soil was rock hard so every shovel had to be picked out before removed. Very hard , sweaty work but it gave me a much needed extra foot of width to an already narrow basement footprint. Extra detail to drainage and waterproofing. Footing drains skylighted out thru hillside(I don't trust sump pumps anymore). The 100' foot trench allowed me to drop in 3 runs of 4" surplus swear pipe(less than $50.) for pre tempering winter fresh air intake(no condensation/mold problems warming cold air). Tempered air will go to A/A xchgr when direct warmed fresh air from DIY solar air collector is not available. Only major eco design is that basement will be thermally and airily(?) separated from living space by between floor insulation and sealing stairwell door so basement can be well ventilated for radon(we are located on top of an underground granite mountain). I like a cool workshop even in winter. Snow roof is temp for winter. Completed addition will be same two story profile of existing building extended to length of garage plus a few feet second story will extend halfway back over garage. This new living space will be a super insulated/sealed space to retreat in winter, minimal heating rest unless we want to fired up the wood stove which heats it now for periods.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0014.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	4836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0013.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	4837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0016.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	4838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0019.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	4839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0021.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	4840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023.jpg
Views:	1741
Size:	567.3 KB
ID:	4841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0026.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	4842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	4843  

Last edited by Daox; 11-26-14 at 10:59 AM..