EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-12, 08:14 AM   #41
S-F
You Ain't Me

I don't understand your description. What does your porch have to do with your crawl space? Wherever you were going to place your fan blowing in, just turn it around. You can temporarily nail some random stuff around it to make it a little more air tight. Do you have a way for fresh air to get in from the other side of the crawl space?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 07:34 AM   #42
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

It appears that I was too worried about the vapors given off by the poly adhesive. I did set the fan up at the back corner, blowing up the side porch and then under the front porch. I had removed the last foundation vent so the air would have another path with minimal resistance. I did have a filter mask with paint vapor type filters. Not once did I detect the smell of vapors through my mask. Of course, that was the goal.

Pictures include, left to right (1) the burnt spot {circled} from when I did the layout and accidentally let the 500W halogen light contact the vapor material (2) me using the utility knife like a ruler as I went down the wall, after the wife pointed out my work wasn't very straight on the first wall. (3) A shot of the first wall we did. It wasn't quite as straight as we'd have liked and we had about 6" too much material, so there is a dandy sized pucker along the wall.

The front wall was about 53' long and the rear wall was just short of 50'. We used 5 tubes of polyeurethane adhesive to do the front porch area. I had 6 tubes to start with. I expect to use 4 under the side porch.

I doubt I post any pictures or comments about the other porches vapor barrier install unless a revelation happens, as that will be more of the same. I did notice that the bottom of the material was damp when I repositioned it a bit, and I am certain it will be worth the effort to do this. I had procrastinated a bit, from not looking forward to doing the work, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had myself worked up to believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt spot.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Works as a ruler, too.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second side looks straighter.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2383  
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 04:04 AM   #43
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Your fan solution is simple: Grab a squirrel cage inflator for rafts and such. Roughly 8" in diameter, 40 bucks or less at Harbor freight, wally world, or chinese tool sale. Rig it to suck or blow thru vacuum cleaner hose. If you're really cheap, just use a shop vac. It could save your brain.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote