Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-10-12, 10:48 AM   #1
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Need help with sun simulator design

Hi,
I've been working on an indoor sun simulator so that I can do solar thermal collector testing indoors and without always having to having to do side by side tests with a baseline collector.

The sun simulator currently uses six 400 watt metal halide lamps to light up a collector that can be up to about 2 by 4 ft.

Its coming along pretty well, but I'm having some trouble getting to a reflector design that gets enough of the lamp light onto the collector. If you have a minute to look at the setup and make suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
All the details here:
A Sun Simulator for Solar Thermal Collector Testing

Its on the long side, but you can skip down to near the bottom and see the
problem.

Gary

GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 06:58 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Perhaps you could check out craigslist or something for used industrial lamps to use the reflectors from them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:34 PM   #3
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
I've been keeping track of the Craig's list offerings for the last couple weeks. We are not in a really densely populated area, so it probably not as good as some places.

I've seen some metal halide lights for warehouse type lighting, and the prices are pretty good -- they come with a built in ballast. But, I think the reflector patterns are too wide for my use. Also a few grow lights -- Pot growing in MT went from semi-legal to not so much, and it looks like some folks are getting rid of the gear.

A few things have been suggested for making the reflectors better, and I'm going to try a couple of them tomorrow.

Gary

GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote