EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-12, 01:55 AM   #1
DirtFlinger

Default Conservation in the home is meaningless

Yeah, I know, I worked for PIRGs all over the country and GreenPeace. They all try to make you think that you tiny little personal contribution means something when everybody does it and ... oh why can't everybody recycle their garbage...

It's lies. Until the large corporations are ordered to recycle it means nothing. Until the Hotels are ordered to conserve water, it means nothing.

Until the large agri-corps are ordered to stop killing our poor people with pesticides and laziness, it means nothing.

Don't fall for the lies of this "green" movement. It is created and run by the corporations that you should be rising up against.

They are preempting your action, which you are not taking. Duh

You are all stupid f'ing cows that follow the chute to hell, or highwater, or just pian outrage... which is how they like to keep us.

STOP IT YOU STUPID HUMANS! YOU HAVE LITTLE TIME.

Old 06-29-12, 08:28 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I'd have to disagree pretty much completely. Not only does conservation at home save me a good chunk of money, but you also have to start somewhere to see the effect spread. It all starts with educating people on the effects of what they do.

Hotels cater to what their clients want. If you don't teach people that conservation is important at home how will people have any idea that a hotel is wasting water at a rediculous rate? How will the clients or management know? They won't, and that means they'll do things like they've always been done and not even think twice about it. Over the past couple of years I've seen hotels start to use water conservation (hang up your towel = don't wash it every day), and shower heads with non-rediculous flow rates. To say no progress has been made here would be a mistake.

I'm not sure about New Mexico, but businesses here all recycle a lot of stuff. All the offices I've been in have paper recycling. I work at a place that does a lot of work with steel and of course we recycle the scrap, its worth money.

Lastly, if you are going to rant that is fine. But, do not insult the members of this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 06-29-12 at 08:31 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
herlichka (07-01-12), Ryland (06-29-12), strider3700 (06-30-12)
Old 06-29-12, 10:04 AM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The result of conservation, my house:

Winter 2009 to 2010 Natural gas usage highest two months usage is pretty much the same to my usage in the trailing 12 months.

Electricity and gas costs combined, including pesky ~$10.50 monthly service fees for both come out to $700/year total. 2200 sq ft house in an area where it gets down to -20f in the winter on a yearly basis and where we have about 10 days of around -10f.

Pretty good for a house with a non-energy star refrigerator, cost sucking electric dryer, 76% efficient furnace, and a 26 year old air conditioner.

Conservation: Still meaningless? If I were not useful, my costs would be substantially higher.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 02:16 PM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

My complaining about large companies and corporations wasting too much would be worthless if I myself didn't conserve and recycle.
Old 06-29-12, 02:18 PM   #5
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

One day when I was a boy, my grandmother took me to the park. As we walked around the pond I picked up a stone from the path to throw it into the water. My grandmother turned, stopped me and said, "Don't throw that stone into the water. If everyone threw a stone into the pond there wouldn't be a pond."

I am only one tiny stone. But tiny stones are important.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 04:01 PM   #6
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Conservation in the home is meaningless ???!!

Really Dirtflinger! You may have selected the wrong site for opinions like that. Did you read the tittle, "Eco-Renovators". For our household we have saved about $5000.00 /year by switching to GSHP and Solar Hotwater. For the heating of my business we saved $3000.00 this past heating season by the means of a homemade ground source heat pump that I learned to build here. The large corporation that used to supply heating oil is no longer stopping here. Locally there are (corporate) wind turbines and solar farms providing Clean electricity that I use in part to operate the GSHPs. Do you realize that some automotive manufactures have started making electric cars. Ford Focus,Nissan Leaf,Chev Volt(hybrid)and the famous Tesla. Lets keep up the momentum. If you buy and drive these cars, heat/cool with Heat pumps and mount solar on your home the corporations will do well, employing people and move away from burning dinosaurs.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:47 PM   #7
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Sure large corporations are using more energy in a single building then I do in my single house, but a percentage of what they are doing is being done for me, a grocery store is selling food to 1,000's of people, so just like a bus uses more fuel then a compact car, if you fill the buss up it uses less fuel per person then the best car on the road and if we all push for improvements both at home and at work then we make a huge impact!
In the last 3 years I've cut both my heat bills in half and my electric bills while adding charging an electric car in to the mix, allowing me to save enough money that I have a pretty great life style on a part time job and I'm not lacking anything or making do without, I'm just using energy in better ways.
While I agree that we should make sure that we use our quota of energy so that those people who do have kids don't have anything to pass on to their children, I'm just to cheap to go along with that.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:56 PM   #8
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That's inaccurate. Private users/homes account for about 40-50% of all energy consumed in the U.S. Passenger vehicles use most of the oil in the U.S. (probably 20+%) and about half off all the electricity generated (another ~20%), plus whatever is required for heating.

P.S. I imagine this would be a great angle for someone running a "false flag" operation on behalf of some collection of fossil fuel companies.
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 11:07 AM   #9
pinhead
Helper EcoRenovator

Large corporations are made of nonhuman psychopaths....
Oh wait, actually they are comprised of you and I.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinhead For This Useful Post:
Ryland (07-01-12)
Old 07-01-12, 12:19 PM   #10
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Maybe the net benefits of my eco-renovation projects aren't financially significant, but I'm planting the seeds. My grandchildren know what my solar panels do, they know what the blue box and green boxes are for, and they know about reducing fuel needs by watching the thermostats and limiting our vehicle use.

It may take a generation or two to happen, but one day these kids (and yours) will be the decision makers who take eco concerns to the next level. I will have done my job if they use what they are learning now!

P.S. It may be just my sense of humour, but is there something Freudian about your choice of username?

herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote