EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-04-10, 06:40 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Can't Afford Solar Panels? Lease Them!

As the article says, this is kind of an odd situation. However, if they can make it work it sounds great.

I know at an MREA event I went to they said its possible that you can get a loan for a solar PV system and come out ahead because if you get paid for the electricity you produce, the electricity credit you get is enough to pay for the loan payment plus some of the electric bill. So, you've effectively lowered your electric bill for "free". I haven't run the numbers to see how this all pans out though.

Quote:
Basically, the company pays to install the solar system in your house (solar panels, inverter, grid-tie, etc) and you repay them over a long-term lease that is designed so that you save over what your regular electric bill would otherwise have been like. It's one of those rare win-win-win situations: Solarcity wins because they make a profit, you win because you pay less for electricity, and the environment win because most of your electricity comes from a clean source...
Can't Afford Solar Panels? Lease Them! - Planet Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 12:24 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I just ran some quick numbers on the loan thing and I can't see you coming out ahead. Perhaps if you DIY you can decrease the price of the install enough, but at that point you probably won't take a loan out to do it.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 12:26 AM   #3
Clev
Wannabe greenie

If you're going to DIY, buy the controller, and then buy a panel every month or two until the system is fully built. Start reaping the rewards with the first panel.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 01:27 AM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Can you qualify for the rebates if you lease the equipment? I know you can if you pay for it with a loan.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 06:37 PM   #5
Clev
Wannabe greenie

Good point. Also, don't you have to pay for professional installation to get the benefit?

They should do like Edison does for CFLs around here: subsidize them at the distribution point, so they show up on shelves already at a lower price.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 03:26 AM   #6
heyroxie

Yes, I do agree. I think going to DIY would cost you less and you don't have to hire any experts to install it for you (which I think paying a professional would be quite costly.)