EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-12, 05:41 PM   #11
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

The pics look good. I will post some on a build thread when I am up and going. Industry standard for fins, copper or aluminum, is between .3 and .4mm and 150mm wide between tubes. The manufacturers base the thickness and spacing on the time it takes the heat to move from the fin edge to the tube and, as pointed out, aluminum does not have the conduction of copper so an aluminum fin will be closer to .4mm and copper closer to .3mm for roughly the same heat transfer.

I have a roll of Bluetec absorber (good for about 28 panels) from Germany for an ultrasonic welder I bought years ago. It is still sitting on the skid. At the time, it was the most efficient absorber on the market and I don't think there has been much progress since. It is hard to beat 96% absorption and 5% emission.

If you have more panels to build, I would recommend buying a can of Solkote II made in New jersey. It has a very high absorption at about 95% and emissivity of around 20% but the main thing the higher emissivity does is limit the stagnation temp which is not that useful.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 05:44 PM   #12
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

What size of truck is it? 106HP is a lot.
Old 10-23-12, 06:57 PM   #13
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Solkote I did read about and not that expensive. The truck is a S-10 EV made by GM. Its the same drive train as the famous EV1. About 60 trucks excaped the crusher.

My panels I had made with a 4" 100mm pitch between risers some of my materials were recycled so hopefully maybe capturing a little more heat at no extra cost.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 07:01 PM   #14
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Solkote I did read about and not that expensive. The truck is a S-10 EV made by GM. Its the same drive train as the famous EV1. About 60 trucks excaped the crusher.

My panels I had made with a 4" 100mm pitch between risers some of my materials were recycled so hopefully maybe capturing a little more heat at no extra cost.

Randen
I do like it. Where did you get the low iron glass? it kind of looks custom sized.
Old 10-23-12, 07:14 PM   #15
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg small.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2637

This is my Beastie, one tonne payload truck which is in process of getting a 1.9tdi Jetta engine and a quattro tranny. The two front takeoffs from the tranny will have electric motors on them and batteries will sit in a cavernous area under the rear seat. The goal is to get 2000km from a 70L tank of diesel.
The diesel engine is always producing power through the alternator which currently goes to a shunt so I will re-direct it to the batteries. I have no idea what the electrical fraction of the total mileage will be but it is fun to plan.

You are lucky to get the EV, I hear they were great trucks.
Old 11-29-13, 02:43 PM   #16
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default A little solar heat

Here in the great white north finally some sun. For the most part no solar heat was avalible for the month of Nov., Overcast and cold wind. This week lots of snow. Last night -14 Dec C. and today, FREE HEAT!!! At this time the concrete floor is 26 Deg. C and we'll likely see 27 Deg.C by the time the sun is no longer heating and this should keep us warm until tomorrow morn.

Randen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2553.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	3728  
Old 11-29-13, 06:24 PM   #17
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Good to see it's doing what it's supposed to. You can't control the weather but you can control the design and implementation. It looks like you did that well. Good work!
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 04:31 PM   #18
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Solar hot water space heating for the shop

At last, the production of the copper fin and tube risers has begun. The plywood form tool needed to be lengthened 2 ft. The collector that had been manufactured for the house was 8 ft. were as the shop can sport 10 footers. The form tool is quite simple just two lengths of plywood with a piano hinge much like a book. The groove in each form half with a dowel in one forms the copper nicely with just a little force from a rubber mallet.

The copper tube and riser are cleaned bright with hydrochloric acid (muriatic) and just a little flux makes the solder flow. I use the solder to allow a seamless flow of heat collected on the fin to the copper tube and in-turn to the water propylene glycol mix.

This is going to be a long and tedious job only when time permits. ONLY 90 pcs required.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2559.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3738   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2560.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3739   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2561.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	3740  

Last edited by Daox; 12-05-13 at 07:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (04-04-14)
Old 12-05-13, 07:56 AM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Cool setup. 90 pieces! Yikes haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote