EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-20, 11:46 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Refurbishing old solar hot water panels

Its been quite some time, but years ago I got 10 solar hot water panels from BenNelson. They had been sitting for quite some time with the glass panels off and need some work. I started the project, but stopped years ago. Now, I am coming back to it and looking to finish it this summer! Thanks Menaus2 for some motivational work on your own solar setup!

Last I left them I had pressure tested 3 of the panels. I know at least one of the panels has a seam split on one of the risers that will need to be repaired.

So, yesterday I took a look at the remaining 7 panels. I cleaned them out quickly and inspected and disassembled the few that hadn't been disassembled. They'll need to be pressure tested.

My current question for you guys is how would you connect these solar panels? The guys that took down the panels just used a sawzall and lopped off the header pipes so they barely extend beyond the sheet aluminum case. I had planned on using PEX tubing between them. This seemed like a nice idea because it was simple, but I'm a bit worried about overheating the PEX and that causing leaks. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 033.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	8957   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 045.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	8958   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 034.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	8959  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (05-06-20)