EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-11, 07:02 AM   #251
Daox
Administrator

Its really impossible to size the pulley without knowing the motor's rated RPM. Is there no part number or any identification at all?

You could guess and resize the pulley as needed, but knowing the rpm makes it a ton easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 06-17-11 at 07:05 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 10:33 AM   #252
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yes, I think it is going to be a by guess and by golly. No way of knowing the gearing of the original golf cart. I think I will assume a 2,000rpm motor.
Now the question is torque (smaller pulley) or speed (bigger pulley)?
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 10:53 AM   #253
Daox
Administrator

If I had to guess, I'd use 1700 rpm as my base. Its a common rpm used on a lot of motors.

As for the torque vs speed, I'd really try to get an rpm close to what the original gas engine was. They spin around 3600 rpm I believe, so a pulley twice as big as the gas one would be a place to start.

&
Old 06-19-11, 10:34 PM   #254
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Based on your thoughts, I picked up a 7" pulley yesterday, was going to go with a 5", 7 is the max size I can swing on the motor because of the mounting method, If this is too slow I will have to swap the pulley on the transaxle for a smaller one.
Tony.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 10:47 AM   #255
Daox
Administrator

Last night I pushed the mower farther than ever on the batteries. I mowed the entire yard (red area on the picture). It also hadn't been mowed in over a week and a half so the grass was quite long. This morning the mower was still charging. A typical cut only uses ~2kWh and this morning it was up to 2.6kWh on the kill a watt. I'm guessing I'll put in at least 3.5kWh which is half the pack capacity. I'd rather not take it down more than that. It is good to know that the entire yard could be mowed (including the yellow area) if I really wanted to though.

&
Old 07-07-11, 01:14 PM   #256
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

I laugh. Your new mower pack has roughly the same capacity as the ForkenSwift's (electric Geo Metro) half-worn-out pack!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 07:36 PM   #257
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

And they travel at about the same speed!

I mean, dang! that mower is fast!

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 08:06 PM   #258
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Last night I pushed the mower farther than ever on the batteries. I mowed the entire yard (red area on the picture). It also hadn't been mowed in over a week and a half so the grass was quite long. This morning the mower was still charging. A typical cut only uses ~2kWh and this morning it was up to 2.6kWh on the kill a watt. I'm guessing I'll put in at least 3.5kWh which is half the pack capacity. I'd rather not take it down more than that. It is good to know that the entire yard could be mowed (including the yellow area) if I really wanted to though.

That's great, it's nice when you put something together and it works.
How much run time did you get out if it?
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 08:37 PM   #259
Daox
Administrator

Well, I pulled the mower off the charger to mow the field tonight and it looks like I didn't even hit 50% DOD. The kill a watt said 3.26 kWh used and thats including the charger's inefficiency. So, I'm really glad about that.

Doug, I'd say it probably took me about 40 minutes to do the red area. I really haven't timed my run times yet. Its something I always think about doing as soon as I've been on the mower for a few minutes. Anyway, to 0% DOD I'd imagine I have around 1.5 hrs, not that I'd push the batteries that far. Normal run times I wouldn't want to go more than 50% DOD.

&
Old 07-07-11, 08:43 PM   #260
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

I agree with the 50% DOD, other wise the batteries are not going to last long.
Having 45 minutes or so run time is not bad, you can break up the lawn and cut patches 2 or 3 times a week, gives you more time to use your electric tractor.

dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor