EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-13, 06:26 PM   #1
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Default Hi from Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

Hi,

Just registered here. I live in Michigan. I've been trying to pick a color for my new roof (for only 3 days, but contractor is telling me to hurry), and today I found EcoRenovator when I searched on a specific shingle I was considering. Someone had posted about exact shingles I was considering, and that was it, my decision was made. Seems my "values" were only half-formed, and then when I saw what was said about those shingles I realized what was most important to me, and I feel so proud of my decision! I went with the only Energy-Star-rated shingle in the line-up I had to choose from, in the basic CertainTeed Landmark line-up. "Silver Birch". I notified the contractor's office, and they said "Oh, no, you can't get that. NO ONE has EVER gotten that color." (They have been encouraging me to get popular dark brown or red or tan.) I told them I've decided I want the Silver Birch. (i hope there is no more argument, but haven't actually heard back from owner yet, but a few calls to suppliers revealed the shingle is well-stocked here and readily available) I feel so proud of myself! Hee hee! I joined here b/c I realize that eco-renovation is absolutely the way I want to take, going forward!

Courtney

Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:35 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The silver birch used to be available as a 3-tab and the price was low. Now it is only available in the higher end architectural shingles and I haven't been able to find it either and when I ended up finding sites that listed the price, it's not cheap like the other ecorenovator member said it was. It was way over the price of the GAF 'Lifetime' architectural singles that I bought for my house. I ended up picking up the lightest color they had that wasn't white which was the Shakewood. I was a little in a bind though because the contractor that I trusted only had GAF and Atlas. Atlas is a bit of a no-name IMHO so I went with the GAF. Got a ridge vent installed and in general not sure how much it will matter with the extra venting and the R60 I'm going to blow into the attic.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:49 PM   #3
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

How strange that your research differs so! Today I called our local suppliers and they said "Yep, we've got the Silver Birch, and it's the same price as all the other colors" I even called CertainTeed today and asked them, and they told me "Yep, Silver Birch still has the energy star rating and is still available." Now I'm nervous because I didn't specify to them "in the basic Landmark line-up." uh oh.... I will post what I find...
Old 09-25-13, 06:12 AM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

awesome, go for it!
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 07:37 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Courtney, and congratulations on picking out a more efficient roofing material. We would love to see some pictures once its on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 06:30 PM   #6
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

The owner of the roofing co. still hasn't replied to my calls or emails telling him the color I've chosen. At first I didn't know what MN Renovator meant re 3-tab vs. architectural. A little research, and now I can say it's the architectural shingles (not the 3 tab), which I've been choosing from. The one I chose is CertainTeed Landmark, in the color Silver Birch, energy-star rated. I believe the roofer said, when we first met at my house a few days ago, that it has to be architectural shingles, required by law or something. I'm just a little worried b/c he/they seem to really disagree with my choice of color. The trend around here is dark colors, especially browns. I realize this is Michigan, but it just keeps getting hotter and hotter here as the years go on. I don't have central air, and I'm not interested in roasting under a trendy brown roof.
Old 09-25-13, 06:50 PM   #7
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

I'm going to take before and after pics, and will post them here. The before will show a white cape cod with pale red brick and hugely overgrown landscaping and a dirty old crappy roof. The after will show trimmed landscaping and a brilliant new pale gray roof, and maybe new shutter colors and front door colors.
Old 09-25-13, 07:16 PM   #8
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Default Unpopular

I live in the "Riverside Gardens" neighborhood of Grand Rapids, and most (not all) of the homes and landscaping are nice, and most of the new roofs around here are either dark brown or medium brown or medium tan (and all are architectural shingles). Most of the homes here were built in the 50's/60's. My current roof is really old (30 yrs?) and is a grayish color 2-dimensional shingle. So the neighbors are excited I'm finally getting a new roof, a "warm dark color", and I haven't had the guts to tell them it's gonna be a brilliant silver, a color so unpopular my roofer is not speaking to me (isn't replying to my calls/emails). He's done several of the roofs on my street.
Old 09-27-13, 05:18 PM   #9
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Default update

I finally got a reply from my roofer. This is his email-reply to the email I sent him 3 days ago telling him my choice is Energy-Star-rated Silver Birch, and here's his reply, cut and pasted:

"I'm guessing you have seen a actual sample of the silver birch?"

So, I'm feeling like I have been begging for this roof. This has been going on for days. Here's what I wrote back to him today, cut and pasted:

"Yes, Sir! I've seen the sample in person and am aware that it is an extremely pale color. I can see why you'd ask if I've seen it, since it is sooo white-silver-gray. I realize you probably feel obligated to be sure I'm aware of how extremely pale it is, and to point out that any streaking or dirt will be much more visible on that color. No need! I promise you that I am fully aware of all of that! I've seen roofs with that color, and I love the pale, pale, gray roofs on houses like mine with the pinkish brick and white siding. Also, I like that it has the Energy Star rating, since I have no central air, and I have a low tolerance for hot temperatures. I want you to know I am delighted that I can get that roof - I feel 100% confident in my decision."
Old 09-27-13, 07:54 PM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Sounds good to me. If he doesn't go ahead with things hes simply throwing money away!

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote