EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-13, 08:04 AM   #11
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I have those Cree bulbs, too. They are omnidirectional and have a very warm, slightly yellowish color like a traditional incandescent dimmed almost imperceptibly below full power. Those are my favorite for intimate lighting.

My favorite bang-for-the-buck-bulbs (also dimmable) are THESE Feit Electric bulbs from Costco. They are cheaper in the store, $19.99 for a 3 pack, than on the website. They are 3000k, omnidirectional, and have a white, neutral hue with no blueishness.

I have tried several types from Ebay and have been disappointed by most of them.

What we need to push manufacturers to do is make reasonable output/reasonable price candelabra (E11) base bulbs. The cheapest I've seen were $10 and put out only 200 lumens or so.

Nice retrofit, where2!

Craig

Old 07-15-13, 09:32 AM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Now that you've been using this a while, do you have any additional comments or anything new to share on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-13, 08:53 PM   #13
where2
DIY Geek

Still running strong. My wife uses it regularly... No complaints.

I agree with MMT someone needs to make an LED bulb with a candelabra base with 600-800 lumen output. I need to replace a bulb in my hunter ceiling fan. One of the two CFL's recently burned out. I tossed a 40W (equivalent) CFL in it because I had one, but I'd rather have LEDs. The 40W (equivalent) CFL is rather dim. The previous bulb was a 60W (equivalent) CFL, and I miss the missing lumens. I've also got a yard light with three Incandescent bulbs in it. Two of the three bulbs have burned out, and I will guinea pig that fixture if someone would make a candelabra base with reasonable lumen output.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 07:23 AM   #14
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

Where2

I'm not sure I would ever want that much light from one fixture, but I sure appreciate the retrofit. I'd like to see a schematic of the wiring; it will help me learn to be a semi-incompetent home DIY electrician, instead of the hopelessly incompetent one I am now.
ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 02:14 PM   #15
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
There is a concern about the wiring end of the bulb socket where you could potentially shock yourself, but I'll address that with some heat shrink tubing one of these days.

You can use one of those liquid electrical tape materials to cover the exposed wiring. Its a "liquid rubber" type fluid that you paint onto the wires, dries in a few hours and saves you having to desolder the wires to slip the shrink tubing onto them.

basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basjoos For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-09-13), where2 (08-09-13)
Old 08-09-13, 10:48 PM   #16
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGo View Post
I'd like to see a schematic of the wiring; it will help me learn to be a semi-incompetent home DIY electrician, instead of the hopelessly incompetent one I am now.
Used book stores and thrift stores usually have some quality books on the subject of home electrical wiring. Time Life books published one called "Basic Wiring". I have a copy, and I recommend it. I'll be happy to keep my eye out for a decent book for you, if you'd like. I usually don't pay more than $5 for a used book. Some of my favorite DIY books on electrical subjects were written in the 1970's-1980's before everything became disposable.

On the Franken-lamp, as with all edison based lamps, the "hot" wire goes to the tab for contact at the tip of the bulb, the "neutral" wire goes to the threaded ring along the side of the bulb. I used my $5 harbor freight digital multimeter to verify continuity from the male wall plug to the top of the fixture to determine proper polarity.

Thanks to Bajoos: the liquid electrical tape was a perfect solution to my exposed terminal screws.

Last edited by where2; 08-09-13 at 10:51 PM..
Old 08-10-13, 01:25 AM   #17
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Used book stores and thrift stores usually have some quality books on the subject of home electrical wiring. Time Life books published one called "Basic Wiring". I have a copy, and I recommend it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it.
ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 10:50 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

I know I'm digging this one up a little bit. I'd like to write this up for the blog. Do you remember how much the conversion (edison bases and bulbs) cost? Also, any additional pictures would be great!

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 09:24 PM   #19
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I know I'm digging this one up a little bit. I'd like to write this up for the blog. Do you remember how much the conversion (edison bases and bulbs) cost?
Edison sockets were about $3.00 each (Lowes), Bulbs were $12.97 each(Home Depot). Also used about 15" of "lamp cord", two wire nuts and four crimp terminals. I don't think I have any other photos.
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-18-13)
Old 04-18-14, 09:39 AM   #20
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

The CREE lamps are now under $10 at the big box (both 40W and 60W equivalent).

I picked up 6 of the 40 W replacement (450 lumen @6 W) a few days ago, and when she wasn't looking, installed them into a couple of fixtures where "She Who Dislikes CFL" enjoys basking in the incandescent glow.

She hasn't noticed, and now I'm basking in the drop from 200 to 36 watts

Pat

wuck is offline   Reply With Quote