Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-22-12, 11:35 AM   #51
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFlinger View Post
...forever making him a big pussy and robbing our great nation of what would have otherwise been a man...
DirtFlinger,

As long as you are talking about "big pussy" and thwarted manhood, you might want to pay better attention to your spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFlinger View Post
...That poor dump hippie kid said...
The word you probably meant to put between 'poor' and 'hippie' was most likely "dumb", otherwise your sentence makes even less sense than your overall argument.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-26-12 at 12:54 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 10:45 AM   #52
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

No, I'm saying lots of small actions are better than no action. Big changes on the corporate or governmental level? Even better! Fantastic! But you have to be realistic about the political process. Unless you think you have a good chance of winning a revolution, you are gonna have to try and convince politicians (some of the dumbest, ignorant and self-intersted people on earth) that it's in their best interest to do. Let's remember in the US at least there is a sizable electorate that is absolutely hopeless (think the earth is 6000 years old) Is it still worth it? yeah, we have to try. Don't expect big changes overnight.

On the other hand you have corporations that are driven by profit motive. Consumer demand and regulations can change their actions, but you're fighting against a lot of ingrained thinking. Worth it? yes. And their are more multi-nationals doing substantively sustainable things, for the reasons above and because of the ROI.

So, that leaves what you can do personally. While you control your miniscule part of society, you have a greater potential to make substantive change on that part. It's not just EV's or reusable shopping bag feel good crap, if you seriously and strategically improve your impact, you can take your impact/consumption and divide it by whole numbers. Being we are social animals, everthing you do can influence others. At least opening the possibilities in their minds that, "hey X can actually be done", and the more people that take the risk for a given change, the less of a social risk there is associated with it. It also leaves the potential for coordination among individuals, which if it grows big enough, eventually politicians and the private sector will start pandering to.

So, DirtFlinger, token feel good measures are less useful than they are often marketed. That much is true, but I disagree that conservation measures are useless simply because the big powers have such an impact. Large changes in fact start with individuals taking big risks, changing perceptions of others, and breaking down the social barriers to change.
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menaus2 For This Useful Post:
benpope (07-26-12)
Old 08-07-12, 11:01 AM   #53
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

This is interesting considering, the NASA facility I work at, has a very extensive recycling program. Last time I checked, NASA was a government agency, and a pretty big one at that.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 06:11 AM   #54
pinhead
Helper EcoRenovator

...depends if I work until noon today or Wednesday afternoon to pay for my heat I guess.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 09:34 AM   #55
Higgy
The Gardener

Just an FYI Dirtflinger, our planet won't die anytime soon (unless of course a cosmic event destroys it), at least not by our hands. Even if we launched nukes all over it...it won't die, not yet anyway. It's lived over 5 billion years through many cosmic events and what not. WE the humans may die, but the planet won't. The planet is a living being in the cosmos, it will "take care" of the virus that is us with floods, volcanic activity, earthquakes etc...until either we smarten up or it wipes us out. Even if we were to destroy all the oceans and land, in time, it will heal itself just like it has many times before.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 01:08 AM   #56
DirtFlinger

Here I quote from "Light, Water, Hydrogen: The Solar Generation of Hydrogen by Water Photoelectrolysis"

"Both fossil and fissile energy sources are finite and, on our current projected course, will soon be exhausted. Considering the scale of the problem, i.e. a world population of 10 billion by 2050, energy conservation can only modestly delay the day societies find themselves, as they say, between a rock and a hard place. The survival of modern society, as we know it, faces collapse unless alternate routes for energy production are established."

And, this textbook was apparently published in 2007. That was even too late. 5 years later and people still think wasting their time conserving or recycling for any other reason other than to save money... money that is a worthless ponzi scheme btw...

It makes me sad to think of all the wasted energy, especially since they all seem to have the best intentions and are simply misled by old ideas.

Last edited by DirtFlinger; 08-31-12 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: arg sp
Old 08-31-12, 08:13 AM   #57
Daox
Administrator

If you wish to continue this conversation you are free too. DirtFlinger will not be continuing it with us. It is pretty clear he was just here to troll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote