EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-13, 08:19 PM   #1
greif
a van down by the river

Default thermostat

Are there any thermostats that are program able just to turn furnace fan on and off? I like to run the fan to circulate the air but running it all the time is probably a waste. There is an add on device to turn fan on off , it's pretty plain only can set to turn on for your desired number of minutes per hour.

ThermGuard

Wondering if there is something better out there

Gary

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:50 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I'd imagine any controller for an HRV would be able to do this. Not sure if they make combo heating/cooling/hrv thermostats as I've never had to look for one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 01:58 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Did some quick research. I like LUX... just cause (no real reason). They have one thermostat that does this:

Mechanical Thermostat | Digital Thermostat | Programmable

Quote:
Introducing the new Lux CAG1500, our fully programmable thermostat that not only gives homeowners the advantage of automatic temperature control, but also has the added benefit of helping to keep a home’s air clean. What makes it all possible is the CAG1500’s innovative Clean Cycle®, a feature that ensures the heating and air conditioning fan runs for a set duration of time each hour to circulate and filter the air in the home. The Clean Cycle® is programmable as well, allowing homeowners to program the fan to run anywhere between 9 and 60 minutes each hour. The CAG1500 also includes a comprehensive graphical filter monitor that indicates when the filter needs cleaning for optimum air quality and system performance.

&
Old 05-21-13, 04:21 PM   #4
greif
a van down by the river

Thanks daox

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 05-22-13, 11:49 AM   #5
stevehull
Steve Hull

Gary,

Get a chepo old Honeywell "round thermostat". The kind with the mercury bulb. Connect the mercury bulb contacts to the wires (two) that turn the furnace fan on.

Cheap, works and I use one in my attic to control the electric exhaust fan up there.

Even better are surplus programmable thermostats where you can program both temperature AND time of day to turn on the attic fan. I use one of those to control a dehumidifier.

Steve
Old 06-16-13, 08:51 PM   #6
TackyTeddy
Lurking Renovator

I know this is not Cheap, but the Nest works for me. Some utilities around the US do offer big rebates for thermostats. Wish are area had them.

http://tackyted.com/storage/solar/NestFanSettings.png

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nest_learning_thermostat_1-571x5001.jpg
Views:	70885
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	3415  

Last edited by Daox; 09-25-13 at 08:24 AM..
TackyTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 09:47 PM   #7
greif
a van down by the river

I'm way to cheap for a nest, guess I don't see the need . Haven't gotten around to getting a Lux CAG1500,
Working too much/ too many projects..... that and I forgot

Old 06-17-13, 08:44 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

If/when you do, let us know. I'd be very interested in hearing how it works out.

&