EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-16, 06:32 PM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default $600 SEER 15 or $1,000 SEER 23

Window units need to go. They are too small, don't cool well enough and are a security hazard as I live in the hood.
The window unit is an on/off 6,000BTU unit. It barely cools the bedroom on hot days.
I am going to get a split unit. I am leaning towards getting the more expensive 240v powered $1,000 inverter unit.
Best I can figure if I only used the more expensive air conditioner during the summer it would pay for its self in 2 years as compared to buying the $400 cheaper unit. Using the heat pump for heating during the winter, even better it may pay for its self in one year.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 07:05 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I would go for the higher SEER.

Check these guys out $1034
FREE DELIVERY AVAILABLE
27 seer.
Mini Splits by Gree
GREE TERRA 9000 BTU 220V 27 SEER = $ 1034 + TAX
I have three of these and really like them.

Other well know people have them also.
Tractor supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...m?cm_vc=-10005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 08:36 PM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Whats the energy savings between a 23 versus 27 SEER?
9,000btu would work.
Old 07-27-16, 08:52 PM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

23 SEER unit
Gree VIREO 9,000 BTU Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner w/ Inverter, Heat Pump, Remote & 50' Lineset (115V) - Single Zone Systems - Ductless Mini Split Systems - Heating & Cooling

103 Estimated Annual Cooling Cost

27 SEER unit
GREE Terra 9,000 BTU Wall Mounted Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump System R410A 208-230 VAC - Single Zone Systems - Ductless Mini Split Systems - Heating & Cooling

88 Estimated Annual Cooling Cost

It is only $15 a year savings. But the 27SEER unit has more options like quite mode when you sleep.
More fan options 1 degree temp chang.

Submittal Data
http://resource.comfortup.com/is/con...n_subs?fmt=pdf

http://17uo7e27w1attiybs22of10v.wpen...30V1A-V3.0.pdf

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-27-16, 11:18 PM   #5
oil pan 4
Land owner

I like the sound of quiet mode since it will be in the bed room where my wife who works night shift sleeps during the day.
Old 07-27-16, 11:30 PM   #6
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My boy uses the quite mode at night. I also have the same unit in my bedroom and I never use it.
The low setting is pretty quiet. We don’t hear it at night. My room gets hit with direct sun all day and badly in the afternoon. I will turn mine up in the afternoon but by 6:00 I can turn it back to auto. This is just when we have these 95-100 degree days. My boys both leave them on auto fan all day.

The LG mini splits in the living room cool really well but the temp adjust 2 degrees at a time.
one setting is a little to warm the other setting is a little cool. (not as bad as forced air system)
The Gree I have adjust one degree at a time it is much simpler to get the exact temp you want.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-28-16, 03:15 AM   #7
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Higher SEER usually are the inverter driven ones, and are quieter.

Buy a dozen or so 20 mm 120V MOVs from Mouser or other supplier and put in your disconnect box and at your breaker. Before I did that, son's Klimaire inverter unit reset every few months due to power line transients where he is.
reset = shutdown and required breaker cycling to reset automatic latch off.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 06:39 AM   #8
stevehull
Steve Hull

Junkhound

Tell us more specifics for these MOVs. 120V and not 240V? Does one go on each 120V circuit?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-28-16, 08:33 AM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I installed my first Gree mini split 10/18/2013 and LG unit right after that have not reset them once. Maybe my power is different I am the last house on a very long utility line.

Since I have solar the voltage would stray more than people that don’t have solar at lease during the day.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-28-16 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-28-16, 03:47 PM   #10
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
Higher SEER usually are the inverter driven ones, and are quieter.

Buy a dozen or so 20 mm 120V MOVs from Mouser or other supplier and put in your disconnect box and at your breaker. Before I did that, son's Klimaire inverter unit reset every few months due to power line transients where he is.
reset = shutdown and required breaker cycling to reset automatic latch off.
Yeah I keep 130v rms AC on hand and stick them in side stuff as I build and modify. I use them to protect electronics, such as when I built my entertainment stand I put them in the built in electrical distribution system, or to protect power factor correction capacitors in welding machines and air compressors.

What I do with 240 volt machines (welders, air compressors and plasma cutter) is wire a 130v MOV from each line to ground.

Tags
15 seer, 23 seer, 25 seer, heat pump, split