EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-17, 11:18 AM   #331
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

OW. What happened to the commutator bar? Acid did that? Or arcing?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 12:05 PM   #332
Daox
Administrator

I assume the gouging is from the arcing, but the acid caused the arcing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 12:09 PM   #333
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

That acid was aggressive on the copper.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 07:26 AM   #334
Daox
Administrator

I took the motor over to my friend's house last night. We disassembled it. This is not the easiest task being a permanent magnet motor. We actually used a press to push the armature out of the housing because the magnets are so strong. He is going to take it to his work and have the commutator turned down.

&
Old 06-08-17, 11:46 AM   #335
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Just wondering how much material will they take off? Just the surface?

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 04:10 PM   #336
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Typically, when you turn a commutator, you try to take off as little as possible.

You are really just trying to make it smooth and clean. In this case, I'm not sure what the best approach is for the part with that arcing damage. That does look deep, doesn't it?

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 10:42 AM   #337
Daox
Administrator

We'll see. They turn comms down all day long there. The gouge is quite deep. I would guess 1/16" or so. If it can't be turned down, there isn't much alternative than a new motor at this point I don't think.

&
Old 06-21-17, 10:04 AM   #338
Daox
Administrator

I got word from my friend. He said the motor comm was able to be turned down. There are two imperfections in it yet, but he doesn't think it'll be a problem. While we're at it, I'm going to replace the bearings in it as the rear bearing was a bit gritty. Gotta get those on order and then I can get things back together.

&
Old 06-21-17, 12:29 PM   #339
oil pan 4
Land owner

Yes definitely replace bearings, the main cause of failure for the 3 phase motors I work with is bearings.
The main cause of failure for DC motors is brushes wearing down. With new bearings and keeping fresh brushes in it will out last any gas powered mower.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 01:22 PM   #340
Daox
Administrator

Last night was the night. I have had the armature for a week or so. I filed down the grooves on the commutator between the armature windings per my friend's instructions. This reduces brush wear and arching. Then, last night I took the armature back over to his shop and we reassembled it. This is no easy task considering you have VERY powerful permanent magnets that want to snap that armature back into place. We ended up rigging things up on a drill press table. The housing was bolted down, and we stuck a pipe up through the table. The top of the pipe went over the motor's output shaft. The bottom of the pipe rested on a hydraulic bottle jack. This allowed us to slowly lower the armature into place so it wouldn't bash up the windings. It worked beautifully. We also loctited the bearings in place. Its a trick my friend said can extend bearing life since it fixes the slip fit and stops it from moving or rotating. He has experienced this issue on motors hes tested at his work and it has fixed bearing life issues.

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
bennelson (07-14-17)

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor