EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-11, 07:43 PM   #21
Bosco
Lurking Renovator

the magic number of

Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 07:43 PM   #22
Bosco
Lurking Renovator

fifteen posts. Hurrah!!
Old 01-09-12, 08:38 PM   #23
wilfor03
Lurking Renovator

Hey Bosco and Slidegate.....Glad to hear those new MTM boards are working for ya. I had an older one and couldn't keep the relays working. MTM even made it right, but I gave up on it. Just too frustrating fighting with it. Both your systems look good. Did you guys both build your own? Keep up the good work......

Bill
wilfor03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 08:39 PM   #24
Slidegate
Lurking Renovator

Yes Wilfor I built everything. The only purchased items were the electronics. The new MTM Tracker with the programable chip is just sweet. The first one I had was junk. Relays only lasted a few days. I would recommend the ST2-HD-PIX but I suggest contacting them with the requirements for the chip.
It comes standard with a 1min or 10 minute delay and only has a 5 min park setting. I reprogramed mine to a 5 min. delay and a 25 min park. I even upped the sensitivity of it.
Slidegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 07:35 AM   #25
Bosco
Lurking Renovator

Default Overlooking the obvious

Even though I am nearly in my 7th decade, I still sometimes overlook the obvious!

When I initially designed my system, I automatically assumed that the azimuth drive would be through the pinion input of the differental.

Since the system's physical inception I have had problems with chain and sprocket systems and reduction gearbox systems. Everything seemed to break. I was at my wit's end and ordered a toothed pulley and belt system - which is presently sitting on my desk.....

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that there was no need to drive the system through the pinion as there were three outrigger wheels in contact with the concrete track and that I could input the drive to any one of them! Additionally, it obviated the need for the hydraulic dampers, of which I was so proud, as the tyre was in contact with the concrete track and the friction drive motor roller would stop it moving when the motor was not running.

Next day I turned a 38mm (one inch and a half) roller which I attached to the output of a standard 12 volt car windscreen wiper motor and bolted it in a position where it pressed on one of the outrigger wheels. I welded some ridges onto the cylinder for better traction. It seems to be working quite well. If there is a physical obstruction, then maybe the battery will run flat and\or the roller will wear a hole in the tyre, but nothing will break! I will post a picture of it sometime soon.

As far as winterising my system is concerned, I am indebted to a post regarding the use of outdoor floodlight housings to contain sensors. Today I mounted two such units and they seem to be working as planned.

A year on from it's inception, this project has done wonders for my thinking capacities, my physicality and my enjoyment of achievement, to say nothing of the interraction it has created between myself and many others!
Old 01-16-12, 07:52 AM   #26
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The mechanical stuff in a DIY tracking system is overwhelming at first look.
I was really lucky to have a solid satellite tracking mount to start with.
(Otherwise, I would be using all fixed-mounted PV)!
Old 07-04-13, 03:40 AM   #27
michael.skov
Lurking Renovator

Hey wilfor03
will you post the Circuit diagram for the st2 solar tracker to me
at
Michael.Skov@mail.dk
regards
Michael Skov

michael.skov is offline   Reply With Quote