EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-20, 03:40 AM   #11
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I see it this way: you'll be paying for something; you might as well be paying the for the cure and not recurring medication. Same thing with glass holes: window tint or screen on the outside if heat gain is a factor, clear film or something else on the inside if heat loss is a factor.
That's a problem I wrestle with a lot. I don't plan on living in this house the rest of my life, so I have to think hard about how much these upgrades are worth. I'm glad the previous owner put in the new double pane windows and doors, must have cost a fortune, but even the EPA admits it's hard to ever recover the cost in energy savings. I'm starting to think the best place to put money is solar panels and then continue to waste energy other places.

This climate is very interesting to me (I'm not from here), we get need almost exactly 6 months of heat and 6 months of cooling. There's only a couple days a year I can leave windows open. Anything I do to keep out heat works for me for 6 months and then against me for 6 months. Fortunately I have a full covered porch on the front and back, and the other sides have about a 2' roof overhang. Really helps shade the windows and siding in the summer.

I do definitely want to insulate the crawlspace equal to or better than the house and seal it, that way any duct leakage won't be a concern at all. Last year I noticed the main trunk for the A/C was dripping from condensation, even being insulated! That's just inviting mold and pests...

AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote