EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-12, 10:23 PM   #91
Daox
Administrator

I started gluing the foam together tonight. We'll see how well that PL300 glue holds up tomorrow once it has cured.

Gluing the foam together was pretty simple. Just put the glue on with the caulk gun and line up the pieces.

Here is the first set done:

To make sure the pieces were smooshed together good, I laid some plywood boards I had on top of the foam and walked over it a few times.

Two down, eight to go.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 002.JPG
Views:	1111
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2572   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 006.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2573  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 11:04 PM   #92
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

This is going to great seeing the system made, its almost like fist hand, especially being able to read the first hand accounts.
I'm learning !
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 09:51 AM   #93
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I gotta come over sometime and help shoot a video!

Photos are great, but they don't always give the best sense of scale and motion.

This project is the most ambitious DIY home-scale solar hot water system that I personally know of. We should try to document the heck out of it, including video!

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 11:54 AM   #94
Daox
Administrator

Come over any time.

&
Old 10-19-12, 12:36 PM   #95
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

This project has jumped threads once or twice as it evolved.
It all sort of started when I discovered that a cousin of mine wanted to get rid of the old solar panels on his house, and offered them to me or anyone I knew who would make good use of them.

That meant a Tim & Ben road trip to go fetch some solar panels, and this all sort of went from there.

Here's that video for anyone who hasn't seen it.

The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-20-12)
Old 10-19-12, 12:44 PM   #96
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, I have the project broken up into different threads for different parts of the project. I makes finding things much easier a few years down the road. Instead of one gigantic thread about getting solar panels, building a rack, building a tank, trenching, putting the panels up, plumbing everything, sizing the pump, etc. you can search for the thread about building a rack and what is involved.

&
Old 11-05-12, 12:55 PM   #97
Daox
Administrator

Quick little update. My wife finished digging the trench this weekend! The last little bit under the porch is done. All that is left to do is grade it all, then throw some rock down to provide drainage around the plumbing.

I've been slowly gluing more foam panels together to go in the trench. Still got about half of them to go.

I'll update with some pictures soon.

&
Old 11-06-12, 07:51 AM   #98
Daox
Administrator

Here is the trench as it is right now. The trouble light at the end can give you some idea of scale. She dug (with my instruction) too far to the right and ended up having to move the trench over about a foot! The pink you see is the hole in the wall for the pipes. It is currently stuffed with some fiberglass we pulled out of the office.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 006.JPG
Views:	1176
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2661  

&
Old 11-06-12, 07:56 AM   #99
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Wow that's a big trench. Guess under the porch, you had to make it big enough for yourselves.

That's almost more of a TUNNELING operation than anything.

Time to re-watch SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and celebrate.

Old 11-06-12, 04:51 PM   #100
greif
a van down by the river

Well you have practice tunneling if you get sent up the creek

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"solar mount design", design, panel, rack, solar