EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-10, 11:11 AM   #161
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Good deal alert!

I stumbled on to this charger at Sam's club recently. You could get 4 of these for around $72 total, and they should be a connect and forget smart style charger.

Sam's Club-Power On Board 25 Amp Battery Charger

I bought one for just under $18 and am very happy with it so far. It's light weight and micro processor controlled. Has good quality cables and clamps and a high current fast charge. It has a display that shows charge current, battery voltage, and other stuff. It can supposedly tell you if you have a shorted or open cell. It even has a desulfate feature to revive a battery that's been sitting for a while .

Last edited by jwxr7; 06-11-10 at 11:14 AM..
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 12:28 PM   #162
Daox
Administrator

That does look like a great deal. Thanks for posting that. If I didn't already have a nice charger I'd probably buy it.

However, I am looking to get onboard chargers. I don't want to use the clamps on the batteries. I just wanna plug it in and let it charge. I know, I'm picky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 12:00 AM   #163
aproldan
Helper EcoRenovator

you may want to try this first.. i use the same type on my mini ride on but the 24 volt version.. your batteries will take 2-3 days to charge, but it is better for your batteries to slow charge.. your batteries will have a longer life span that way..as long as you don't need it you mower the next day this will work.. and changing you gearing to a 3 to ! ratio will help even more for a longer range on your cutting...
aproldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 07:09 AM   #164
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to head down the individual charger route though. I've already replaced half the batteries once. If it ever happens again down the road, I don't want unbalanced batteries to become a problem. The individual chargers fixes that. I also plan on picking up an individual voltmeter readout that monitors each battery. A guy from the local EV club has been working on getting some made up.

&
Old 06-15-10, 01:24 AM   #165
bennettdan
Lurking Renovator

You might like this battery charger it is small enough to make into an onboard charger plus it automaticaly changes into a float charger. If you dont like the spring clips you can change them out for ring terminals.
harborfreight.com/6-12-volt-electronic-battery-charger-and-maintainer-with-lcd-display-65834.html]6/12 Volt Electronic Battery Charger and Maintainer With LCD Display
bennettdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 06:15 AM   #166
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion. If I go with onboard chargers though, they need to be fully automatic. That means I plug it in and it goes, no pressing buttons to get things going.

&
Old 06-16-10, 05:36 PM   #167
davidbr13
Lurking Renovator

I need to comment on those HF item no. 65834 chargers. I bought a trio for my elec-trak. They seriously under-report the voltage, and so consistently undercharge your batteries. They do seem capable of making the full rated amperage, though. And they have a high failure rate, as in they just go dead.

To replace them, I am trying three 3 amp "battery defender pro" chargers from batterymart.com. They seem to work (gave me a LOT more range with a full charge), but get hotter than fire during charging, so I can't use those as-is, either. Sigh. Maybe they will work if I open the cases and add cooling, but like you, I want simple, plug-it-in-and-forget-it charging, and I'm still looking.
davidbr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:46 PM   #168
Daox
Administrator

Good to know. Thanks David!

I'm currently looking at using four 3A Soneil chargers. This would give me overnight charging, and they seem to be very nice chargers, but the cost isn't cheap.

&
Old 07-16-10, 09:55 AM   #169
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Any news on the mower? Decision on chargers?

Are you still mowing with it?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 10:13 AM   #170
Daox
Administrator

I'm still planning on going with the 3A Soneil chargers, I just haven't worked on it yet. I'm still mowing with it at 36V, but I cringe every time I touch the motor after mowing.

&

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor