EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-15, 08:19 PM   #51
mangler
Lurking Renovator

This is what I was considering as a mixer, right after the air filter, at the beginning (top) of the elbow from the previous post.

1pcs LPG CNG Gas Mixer for Bi Fuel Conversion on Motorcycle | eBay

The only thing I am wondering is will there be enough air velocity to trigger some vacuum and feed propane right after the air filter?

I struggle to find a place my feed tubes/venturis lower in the elbow, near the carb. There is just no clearance to create a thicker gasket/feed plate between the air intake and the carb.

mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 12:26 AM   #52
Mukiwa
Lurking Renovator

Hope Vlad continues this thread as I was enjoying the read...
Mukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 10:59 PM   #53
mangler
Lurking Renovator

I finally completed the conversion. I used the LPG gas mixer I linked, and finally tapped into the exhaust manifold for vacuum (there is a blocked port in the manifold that seemed to be meant for it).

Overall it works just fine. I had to adjust the flow using a ball valve for full throttle, and use the idle screw to add fuel on lower throttle positions. Now I can throttle up and down, and seem to get full power (or close, given the propane energy density) at WOT.

One surprising thing, my neighbour brought over his CO tester, and since I can flip from gasoline to propane at the flick of a switch, we tested both.

Once it started (which is a smelly mess), the gas fed cycle is very clean, 2.5-3% CO.

It was better that the propane cycle, which was hovering around 4-5 until I used the main ball valve to choke the fuel supply to where it just became smooth. Even then I could only get 3-4%. I figure my crude fuel delivery system through the gas mixer is not allowing me to increase the air/fuel ratio to optimum propane values (15.2:1). Either that or my slightly compressed air filter is not flowing enough air.

Next steps include modifying the air filter and maybe adding a ram tube to see if i can improve air velocity and get a smooth output with a leaner mixture.

But even as it is now, the tractor is a joy to start on propane, with barely a wisp of smoke, while it s a terrible mess to start on gasoline (large dark smoke cloud). Still very happy with the conversion. Does not hurt that I can get propane for around 0.50 cents a litre either.
Old 09-16-15, 05:48 PM   #54
Mukiwa
Lurking Renovator

That's prety sweet! When you switch fuels does it run rough at all?
Mukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-15, 08:00 AM   #55
mangler
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
That's prety sweet! When you switch fuels does it run rough at all?
No both fuels are smooth. Like I said I am running a bit richer than I would like on propane right now (which is only visible with a CO% test) to get the engine to smooth out, but I suspect a longer air filter stack will help me homogenize fuel delivery and allow me to reduce the fuel air ratio in the future.
Old 09-25-15, 09:51 PM   #56
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Have a craftsman that wont run on gasoline, so stuck a propane torch down the intake and away she went, started googling and then found this thread. This is great, yesterday I was a little more organized and hooked up a 20# bottle with an adjustable regulator, and got better performance. Now looking for a demand (zero) regulator to do a conversion. I wanted to give this tractor to a friend but he insisted on paying for it, then moved away so I gave him back his money and got the tractor. The difference, it was running when he took it. Anyway having done my best with the carb, we will see how we can do with LPG.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 01:53 AM   #57
oil pan 4
Land owner

I found a 3kw generator at tractor supply powered by LPG.
Off the shelf ready to go on propane.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 06:31 PM   #58
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Sorry for ignoring this thread. Too many things... Propane conversion is easy and not expensive way to have cleaner air...
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 07:34 PM   #59
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Vlad good to have you back. Have you been working on anything??

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 08:40 PM   #60
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Lots of projects... schoolbus conversion into RV, house renos, etc

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote