EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-14, 06:30 PM   #1
doug30293
Too Many Projects

Default Recycling antifreeze

I know this forum isn't geared toward auto or industrial maintenance but the wealth of knowledge here is better than I can find on other sites. MODS: If I am completely off topic please delete this post.

I have seven forklifts operating in a filthy environment. The radiators must be removed every 2-4 weeks and soaked in orange terpene solvent to remove resin accumulation.

The retiring mechanic was not reusing the antifreeze, claiming that it was too much work to keep it clean during removal. My new mechanic agrees that we should reuse it. However, we need to make sure it is free of the oil and dirt that always seem to find their way into the drain pan.

I am open to suggestions for some kind of cleaning system, maybe a circulating pump and some kind of filter. Can anyone suggest an appropriate filter?

doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:41 PM   #2
jfweaver
Lurking Renovator

Can you just filter the air going through the radiator? Something like this with something to hold it in place? McMaster-Carr
jfweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:49 PM   #3
doug30293
Too Many Projects

We did try a roll media but it plugged within hours. The factory service rep said the solution was to bring air down from above the roll cage instead of letting it suck up from the floor.

We are working on bringing air down a snorkel with a squirrel cage blower. I believe this will reduce the change-out cycle to perhaps 2-4 months. We will still need a way to clean and reuse the coolant.
Old 03-21-14, 10:18 PM   #4
oil pan 4
Land owner

I put a drain line and cap on the cooling systems of my vehicles that way I can pull the drain line away from the dirty enclosure clean off the end of the line and drain it to a clean container.
Once its safely captured I check it for clarity and freeze/boil point with a hydrometer and pH test it.
Then when I pour it back in I run it through a cloth filter if its still good.
It saves me $10 to $20 most times I open up a cooling system.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 05:18 AM   #5
doug30293
Too Many Projects

It never occurred to me to install a drain port. These lift trucks only have 5 inches ground clearance. The drain pan is the bottom 4 inches of a 55 gallon drum so it catches everything, including the crud falling off the motor. Then half the coolant gets spilled trying to handle it.

With the appropriate connector I could attach a small pump to evacuate the coolant to a clean 5 gallon jug. Install a filter at the pump outlet and the coolant is polished as it enters the jug.

Add a reversing valve for refilling the system, put the whole device on a hand dolly, and nobody has to lift and pour the coolant. I could probably build this and modify the lift trucks for less than $500. Payback time is a few months.

Might as well install pump-out lines on the oil pans while I am at it. That would solve the oil spillage problem.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-14, 06:21 AM   #6
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug30293 View Post
I know this forum isn't geared toward auto or industrial maintenance but the wealth of knowledge here is better than I can find on other sites.
Are you aware of the EcoRenovator sister site dedicated to auotmobiles of all types? Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 12:51 PM   #7
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
Are you aware of the EcoRenovator sister site dedicated to auotmobiles of all types? Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Or anything with an engine, it doesnt even have to have wheels.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:27 PM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Check out DudaDiesel - Biodiesel, Chemical & Solar Supplies, Alternative Energy Store.

I have bought way too many items to list from them over the years. Local guys (Alabama), same-day FedEx shipping, awesome prices and support. They carry what they catalog also.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:57 PM   #9
doug30293
Too Many Projects

I checked out EcoModder over the weekend. Its refreshing to find a forum where automotive topics are treated as science instead of, well, not science.

I've also looked at DudaDiesel a few times. Nice assortment of stuff there.