EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-14, 09:11 AM   #11
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

"Cold water from HP would 1st go through the solar storage tank, pick up heat & then distribute it in slinky loops. water back from slinky loops source HP."

If solar storage tank is kept above 40*F, which I expect with my 360ft2 array & excellent solar location + foam insulation above slinky loop field, I don't think loops would ever freeze.

I could design it to automatically switch over to NG boiler if loop temps get below 35*F

"Water only needs about 1 GPM to start turbulent flow in 3/4 pipe , but glycol or alcohol needs about 3.5 GPM."

This is a big difference in pumping head loss (Watts)

Last edited by buffalobillpatrick; 07-01-14 at 09:14 AM..
buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 05:35 PM   #12
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

CanSIA 2012-Integrating Solar Thermal with Geothermal | Photovoltaic Innovation Network Blog

"Using the geothermal loop field as a storage tank to absorb the excess solar energy in the summer. This advantage allows you to oversize the solar thermal system and increase the solar thermal contribution to the winter heating.

A study has been done [3] for the viability of a combined system in Milton, Ontario. This study shows that a combined system is feasible for space conditioning. For the house in this study, the seasonal solar thermal energy storage in the ground was sufficient to offset the large amount of Geo-thermal pump system length that would have been required in conventional systems. They showed that the economic benefit of such system depends on climate, as well as borehole drilling cost.

To conclude, a hybrid Solar-Geo-thermal system could be an outstanding solution to the high demand of energy in today’s world. It has a lot of benefits like sustainability, being clean (non-polluting) and having the ability to work all year round. Another important benefit is the possibility of using this system for all kinds of applications such as residential, commercial and industrial."

buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote