EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-11, 10:20 AM   #111
Daox
Administrator

I have not considered putting a liner in the chimney. I really don't think it'll do any good. The bottleneck of the system is definitely the outlet in the kitchen. The cross sectional area of the chimney itself is much larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:28 PM   #112
Weed Dog
Lurking Renovator

Default Re: Using Attic Heat

Cool project, BTW. Do you have a thread or posting about how your chimney was rendered obsolete for heating purposes?
Weed Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:50 PM   #113
Daox
Administrator

Nope, no thread. But, when I bought the house, they had just redone the roof. At that time, they had the chimney cutoff below the roof so they wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm sure it hadn't been used in quite some time.

&
Old 05-26-11, 12:44 PM   #114
Weed Dog
Lurking Renovator

Default Attic heat

Ahhh, so perhaps you have a newer natural gas-fired furnace that vents out the side of the house? Could the water heater be vented so as well?

The chimney bricks could be re-purposed for other construction and the chimney column space reclaimed for living/storage. Still, the brick visible in the kitchen photo is rather handsome...

These comments are in no way intended to minimize what I see as a clever and cool project.

I've entertained side-venting my heating unit and water heater to reclaim the space now occupied by the chimney. Tongue-in-cheek, I tell my my wife we could turn the chimney into a clothes chute...
Weed Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 05:18 AM   #115
ovann86
Lurking Renovator

Hi Daox - I've enjoyed reading your little project and have been interested in trying something like this as well.
I would like to know how you are filtering the dusty attic air that's being blown into your house. Or is it not too bad?
ovann86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 08:32 AM   #116
Daox
Administrator

So far, I haven't used any filters at all. I just checked the kitchen opening and there is no trace of dust on the damper.

&
Old 06-01-11, 07:14 PM   #117
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Hey Daox, check this out...

Hey Daox,

Check this out:

Here is a paper that didn't exactly utilize attic heat, but pretty close...

Combined PV - Air Collector as Heat Pump Air Pre-heater

-AC_Hacker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Combined PV-Heat Pump.gif
Views:	1873
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1531  
Old 06-02-11, 08:01 AM   #118
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a great idea to me. I think if I were to take this to the next level, I'd probably use a heat pump to allow more heat to be moved. The fans work good for heating one room, but there is a lot more heat up there that could be harvested.

&
Old 07-14-11, 09:30 AM   #119
TheyCallMeDave
Helper EcoRenovator

Im curious to know when your attic is at 90 f, what the outside temp. is at the time and if it was a totally sunny day ? Im in northern Florida and ive never measured my attic temp. but i strongly suspect that it is at least 90 f up there when its 60 f. out due to the intense suns rays beating on my black asphalt shingles. This winter ill pay closer attention to that and just may implement something like you have to take advantage of the accumulated heat up there for the living room area where i spend nearly all my waking hours. During the summer months, i wouldnt be surprised if my attic is at 130 f. at 6 pm which has me thinking I should throw a 300' coil of 3/4" Pex up there for shower water (cooling down with some cold water of course) .
TheyCallMeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 10:05 AM   #120
Daox
Administrator

The ambient temperature varied quite a bit. The attic temp was much more stable. I'd say the ambient temperature was anywhere from 40 to 60F.

&

Tags
attic, heat, reclamation