EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-11, 08:57 AM   #21
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

You're one ambitious man.

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with water in the basement too these last two and a half months. My exception being 75% of the basement is finished.

I just finished all the drylok work in the basement, adjusted some grading around the problem wall and put the basement back together ~ 2 weeks ago after starting the adventure the end of August (new drywall, new carpet padding) to find a weak point in my system on Oct 28th... no power to the sump pump = water in the basement again. So, back up came the carpet, and I still have a LOT of spare padding from the last lay down, so, I'll put it back down again. Ordered a battery back up sump pump which is due to arrive today.

If I could have easily started over in the basement (no carpet, no drywall) I would have been doing the drain tile too, but, it was cheaper, faster, and easier to NOT toss out a ton of drywall and framing, and carpet, and dig up the floor. If it's ever under an inch of water, I may, but never has the floor ALL been wet at any given time.

Rehabbing a basement is not ECO Friendly Bags and bags and bags of trash. Plus as you mentioned... dehumidifiers, fans, etc running, and now that it's cold, added space heater to keep it from being COLD and damp.

It'll all be back together next week though. I'm a pro at drying things out now. And soon will be a pro carpet installer.

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread....

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 09:36 AM   #22
Daox
Administrator

Haha, no thread hijack at all. It wasn't quite as large of a project as I thought. Me, my father in law, and mother in law did it in two days approximately. It was only about 30ft of drain tile we put in, so relatilvely smal. Also, the outside access from the basement made things tons easier as we had to haul a lot of material in and out of the basement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 09:03 AM   #23
Daox
Administrator

I finally got my first good test of the drainage system. This past weekend was very rainy. I'm not exactly sure how much rain we got, but it was a decent amount. Friday specifically we had a torential downpour with hail. When I got home from work I went to check the basement to see how the drain tile was holding up. I had one very small puddle in one area of the basement. It was gone the next day due to the now dry basement. If this is the worst it gets I'll be quite happy.

I'll probably hang on to the dehumidifier for a while longer, but it hasn't been plugged in since we did the work. In summer that means a good 1kWh less energy usage per day! My current average (with electric water heater) is 14-15 kWh/day so thats a solid 7% electric usage reduction all summer long.

&

Last edited by Daox; 05-07-12 at 09:20 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 04:09 AM   #24
Ammy
Lurking Renovator

You can gather a lot of water and let it seep down and in. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but you will often see "experts" on DIY television shows install a drain in a window well.

Ammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, drain tile, humidity, water