EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-12, 09:43 AM   #1
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default New roof!! Going with metal!

Well hopefully this fall I'll be putting a new roof on my house.. I'm going with Mbci's storm proof panel..
MBCI: Stormproof®

I'm thinking either rustic red or the Solar white.. My house is a red brick house with some white siding I'll try and put a picture up later.. http://www.mbci.com/pdf/colorcharts_...ColorChart.pdf

I plan on doing all the work myself and hopefully with the help of some family and friends.. I have a fairly large roof area 30 square or 3000sqft. Currently there are 2 layers of asphalt shingles so I will have to strip that all off..

I chose this company because I have a friend in the construction supply company and he can get me all the materials at cost. And he has this same panel on his garage and loves it so much he plans to do his house with it soon..

I had a few quotes to do metal and asphalt roofs and they where between 15k and 40k so that was the deciding factor for doing it myself.. I don't have an official cost figured yet but I'm looking about about 7-8k for materials and dumpster.. Not including any food or beverages for my hired help

I started this thread early because I wanted to get some input from you guys on the current plan.. Any info that you might have would be great

Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 11:49 AM   #2
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

My dad put a metal roof on his house a few years ago. I believe he used this company: Metal Roofing Systems in North Alabama

Anyways, you can see, each panel is about 18 inches wide and 10+ ft long. They were incredibly easy to install (my mom helped). They are held on by only 2 screws at the top and is a "floating" type of roof, which allows it to expand and contract as needed. I think the biggest draw back you will have is, your gutter system is going to get destroyed every winter. Once the snow starts melting, it slides off the metal roof, quick. Two years ago, my dad's gutters were flattened after the southern snow storm. I am sure they make better metal roofs to handle snow environments.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 12:04 PM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

they make pieces that are basically big 90 degree bends like an angle iron that attaches to the roof specifically to stop the snow from sliding off like that. I think on my buddies metal roof they stood up maybe 2" from the roof and completely stopped the problem. on my shop I had no gutters and when the snow let go it came flying off. I could see the gutters being destroyed like you mentioned.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 01:39 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
Well hopefully this fall I'll be putting a new roof on my house...
I put a metal roof on my house about fifteen years ago, and it is performing very well.

The metal roof adversely affected television and radio reception, but I found effective work-arounds (external antennas).

On my house, I used interlocking aluminum shingles, which use one aluminum nail per shingle and each shingle interlocks to the adjacent shingle on each of the four sides.

Because the shingles were so light, I was able to put them over my existing roof, which saved me tear-off & disposal expense. It was a breeze getting the aluminum shingles up onto the roof, because a square only weighed 32 pounds.

When I figured costs of comp (with tearoff & resheathing) vs. aluminum, the aluminum was only slightly more expensive... so I went with it.

Now that I have lived with it for 15 years, I wish I had gone with mill finish (no paint) because due to the aluminum surface, the heat gain would be lower.

I also have wanted to put up solar on my roof (HW & PV) but I have not found attachment systems that have a guarantee for aluminum shingles... bummer.

They say the aluminum roofs are good for 50 years, but there in a house across the street from me that has a new-looking roof that was put on shortly after WWII.

Also, if you have any notion of ever putting in solar tubes or sky lights, do it when you are roofing, as it is very difficult to get a good waterproof seal if you do it after the roof goes on.

Good luck on your new roof.

I'm sure you'll enjoy what ever kind you choose.

-AC

Old 08-09-12, 02:37 PM   #5
nikki
Lurking Renovator

there's a lot of really good youtube videos on metal roofing that can help you with your decision - i love how you can watch the details of the install. i almost put metal on mine but when i got to the cost and skill level to diy i had to say no. i did get the recycled rubber malarky legacy 50 year tiles out of Oregon though. i'm VERY happy with them. I did EXTENSIVE RESEARCH on every tile co before i chose and those were the ones with the highest thumbs up all over. i ended up having to crawl up there on my roof myself because the co i hired didn't have a clue what they were doing and just took my money. it was a disaster, but i finally did get the help i needed by some kind fellows who helped me finish it. my roof is so beautiful now i'm so happy with it and i'm also happy i got to have an eco element to it too.

my old roof had 8-13 layers on it --i can't remember i lost count after a while. including 2 layers of cedar. it was a mess.

Last edited by nikki; 08-09-12 at 02:40 PM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 05:41 PM   #6
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Well hopefully this fall I'll be putting a new roof on my house.. I'm going with Mbci's storm proof panel..
MBCI: Stormproof®

I'm thinking either rustic red or the Solar white.. My house is a red brick house with some white siding I'll try and put a picture up later.. http://www.mbci.com/pdf/colorcharts_...ColorChart.pdf
We ended up using a very similar product when we had our roof installed (we chose a different color though).

Color tends to be a very personal choice - but I'd say go for the highest SRI (Solar Reflectance Index) color you like. The Solar White is VERY reflective and will definitely minimize heat gain in the summer.

Now might also be a good time to check your roof ventilation and insulation.

Good Luck,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 08:33 PM   #7
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
I plan on doing all the work myself and hopefully with the help of some family and friends.. I have a fairly large roof area 30 square or 3000sqft. Currently there are 2 layers of asphalt shingles so I will have to strip that all off..

Not including any food or beverages for my hired help

I started this thread early because I wanted to get some input from you guys on the current plan.. Any info that you might have would be great
The last time I had a roofing party, I started doing favors for people 3 months ahead of time "Need help? I'm looking for people to show up for a roofing party"

We had a dozen people on the roof plus 2 or 3 in the kitchen. It was a double roofing job. We stripped the shingles from about 15 or 16 squares, added 2" Styrofoam, sleepers, sheathing, tar paper, and some shingles the first day. Finished shingling the second day.

Don't get cheap on the food - good steaks for supper are cheap compared to contractor costs. Lots of soft drinks / lemonade / cold water / tea. No beer until the job is done. You can promise beer, but if you work everybody right, they will be too tired to drink beer.

If you get a dozen people to help, you will not have time to do any work because you will be running full time trying to keep everybody busy. You need to keep everybody busy because every person who runs out of work will leave and not come back. Try for a 14 hour day for yourself.

You can get most people to volunteer for one day, many for a weekend. After that, you're on your own. Get as much done in that weekend as possible.

Not everybody is used to a long hard day of physical work. Warn them that they may wake up the following day with the worst case of flu they have ever had. It's not the flu, it's just sore muscles after a day of physical work. The cure is a Tylenol and more work.

And have fun.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
TimJFowler (08-13-12)
Old 08-19-12, 03:29 PM   #8
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to put insulation under the panels or not.. Any thoughts

Looks like about 1500 more to insulate to an r7.5.. I'd rather spend that on insulating the attic (it needs it bad) just wondering if it's worth the investment

Last edited by Fordguy64; 08-19-12 at 05:01 PM..
Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 05:39 PM   #9
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'd put the insulation in the attic. You could get R75 worth of blow in insulation for the same money, or ten times the benefit.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 09:10 PM   #10
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

What JRMichler said, except you need to check the thickness of your drywall because you are apparently only supposed to have 15"(~R50) on 5/8" thick drywall to avoid ceiling sag over time. If it weren't a metal roof you'd also have a bigger issue if the roof ever leaked too, not that it's that common for it to happen.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote