EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-10, 09:18 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

I bought the latest model Ryobi One+ trimmer this week. But... its been raining all week so I haven't tried it out yet. It is a fair amount lighter than my gas trimmer and seems to have absolutely no lack of power from a quick use (battery wasn't shipped charged). It came with one battery, more than enough to do my yard I'm pretty sure. I'll do a full review on it after using it for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 09:58 AM   #12
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks Tim -- which type of battery did you get?
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 10:17 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

It came with the larger of the two lithium ion packs that work with the one+ series. I think its 3.5Ah, but I'd have to confirm that.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Its a 2.4Ah pack.
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18..._chargers/P104

&

Last edited by Daox; 05-14-10 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-14-10, 11:38 AM   #14
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I'm thinking of Lithium too.. I want to replace our old AC model (RYOBI 137R).
Motor is at the top end..

I like it okay, but my wife doesn't like dealing with a 100 foot extension cord..

I want to get over to home depot to look at this one..

Ryobi 18 Volt Lithium String Trimmer
Model # P2002 Store SKU # 663831

There is a going to be a lot of difference in performance, but I think she
is going to like the less fuss of wireless..

My daughter has a small lot, and she might like the extra HP of AC power.
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 12:23 PM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Thats the one I got xringer. I'll be using it for the first time this weekend.

&
Old 05-14-10, 12:29 PM   #16
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks again guys -- I ended up buying a Stihl FSE-60 corded model -- very nice weight balance and power. It's a more robust feeling/looking unit:

(click on image for link)

You have to buy these from a Stihl dealer, and they have to assemble them for you. I got mine from a locally owned hardware strore called Robinsons Hardware, and I'm good with that...

I swear that this trimmer is virtually the same unit as the Troy-Bilt TB 50 unit Consumer Reports recommended in their May 2006 issue, which is the most recent review they have done.

Ya' gotta' manage your cord, but it won't run out of power, and it is more efficient than using a battery. There is a very effective "hook" on the back so the cord will not unplug, and I paid $3 for a clip that locks two cords together, too. It isn't cheap ($120), but I think it will last long enough to make it worthwhile.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 01:09 PM   #17
Daox
Administrator

I used the timmer for the first time this weekend. Overall, I'm very happy with it. Heres a quick list of pros and cons.

Pros:
lightweight
charges quickly
quiet
starts instantly
you don't smell like gas after using it
very adjustable

Cons:
needed to charge 3 times to do the whole yard (which admittedly is large and this is the first time trimming this year).
not incredibly overpowered like the gas trimmer it replaced (but is powerful enough to take down anything normal)

So, you can see the pros definitely outweigh the cons. The starting issue alone is worth it...

I'll do a more in depth review for the blog later this year after using it more.

&
Old 05-24-16, 12:09 PM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Its been some time, but it seems I toasted my first battery on this trimmer. A couple weeks back I went to use it and it didn't spin up. I pushed the battery indicator button on the pack (shows red/orange/green light for charge status) and I got nothing. I plugged it into the charger, I got an error and it wouldn't charge. I have yet to do anything further, but it seems that 5 years is what I got out of the first pack. Not too bad, but I'd be lying if I said I was a bit disappointed. Thankfully, it seems other companies now offer aftermarket packs for the Ryobi 18V tools. A replacement isn't horribly painful. I think I paid about $120 for the trimmer back in 2010. Back then a new pack was either $75 or $90. Now, you can get an aftermarket one off amazon for $40 with a bit larger battery. A Ryobi brand pack is $50.

However, before I replace the pack. I think I will give this a go:

Cell Re-balance of Ryobi One+ 18V Li-ion Battery

&
Old 05-24-16, 01:07 PM   #19
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

That Re-balance play might be a good thing to try.. If you own a good charger or one of those fancy power supplies..
When I was working, I had those nice power supplies all over my bench..

But, if I had to re-balance our pack, I would use my old RC airplane charger..(this model).
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/data...06charger2.jpg
Which is pretty adjustable in voltage and current, when used in manual mode.
Old 05-24-16, 06:39 PM   #20
Daox
Administrator

Well, the rebalance is a no go. I measured ~3V at the main terminals (of a 18V pack). I did open it up, but as expected each cell was under .5V. So, I could try to charge it, but I think its pretty well junk.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pack2.jpg
Views:	1444
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	6965   Click image for larger version

Name:	pack1.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	6966  

&