EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-11, 06:33 PM   #21
Clev
Wannabe greenie

I had a cheapy portable dishwasher--the kind that you hook up to the faucet. I stuck the plug in before starting it up once to see how it did. Doing a full load of dishes (way more than a 4-person place setting), it almost, but not quite, filled up the sink.

Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 10:33 PM   #22
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Seriously, though... people let the water run the whole time they shave just so they can rinse the shaver every once in a while. How do You think they wash the dishes?

I can't wash & rinse a 4 place setting in 4 cups of water. I suppose I could in 10l (~2.5Gal), but I sure can't do it at 156.2 degrees F. This $200 dishwasher can: Danby Countertop Dishwasher - Walmart.com ( reviews: Danby DDW497-W White Energy Star Electronic Countertop Dishwasher DDW4 )

Besides, washing dishes by hand rates a bit higher than folding underwear & socks on my to do list.

I suppose in survival mode or when it is necessary to use a biodegradable detergent (I don't know of one that works with dishwashers - LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO) and disposables are not an option.

BTW I don't know if AC_Hacker was joking about washing an engine in a dishwasher, but I know of a payphone company that washed malfunctioning coin mechanisms from payphones in a dishwasher. Worked great to prevent coin jams due to grime buildup.
Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 11:11 PM   #23
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavic381 View Post
BTW I don't know if AC_Hacker was joking about washing an engine in a dishwasher, but I know of a payphone company that washed malfunctioning coin mechanisms from payphones in a dishwasher. Worked great to prevent coin jams due to grime buildup.
I don't have a dish washer and I wouldn't go out and buy one because it would "save water" because it wouldn't, not for me and not for a lot of folks, but just like AC hacker, I wouldn't mind having a dish washer in the shop, right next to the oven that could be used for powder coating metal (cleaned in the dishwasher of course) and the microwave that is used for drying wood.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 11:38 PM   #24
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Aw you guys, We have lived the last 13yrs full time in our converted greyhound, and we have a fully automatic dishwasher, it is very versatile, it can even type stuff like this, and drive the bus.
When we get the house a little further along (ie roofed) a dishwasher will be one of the first power tools we get.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 09:40 AM   #25
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
I suppose in survival mode or when it is necessary to use a biodegradable detergent (I don't know of one that works with dishwashers - LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO) and disposables are not an option.
A quick search for biodegradable soap for dishwashers I found.
Dish Soap -Dish Detergent -Dishwasher Detergent -Dishwashing Liquid | Seventh Generation
Biodegradable Dish Soap | Non Toxic Dish Soap | Eco Friendly Dish Soap | Cruelty Free Dish Soap

I have not tried any of them as I do not have a dish washers other than myself.

Quote:
I do not think he was joking I know of a few people that have done this and it does work as long as the woman of the house does not find out.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
Slavic381 (11-13-11)
Old 11-13-11, 02:08 PM   #26
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

A friend of mind told me that she lived with a roommate from Finland while in college and one thing she remembers is how natural saving water was for her. For example, she would do the dishes only once a day. During the whole day any dirty dishes would first get soaked, then easily washed in the evening.

I thought that using grey and/or rain water for soaking would allow the amount of water needed to be reduced. Then I remembered reading about a dishwasher which would use the grey water from the previous wash to soak the next load. Has anyone else read about this?
Old 11-13-11, 05:12 PM   #27
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
A quick search for biodegradable soap for dishwashers I found....
Thanks. They answered my question (not covered in the FAQ) about the usability/legality of use of their product on boats (not holding tank, but direct disposal of graywater). I;m not sure if I am allowed to paste their answer here, but the gist of it is they don't know about directly discharging into seawater cause there is lack of regulations for such use. Their products are evaluated for normal waste disposal "via waste water treatment plants" & "designed to biodegrade in the presence of bacteria" "and in water, bacteria is present in smaller quantities than on land" ..."do not contain chlorine or phosphates, both of which are detrimental to waterways and aquatic life. ...Our detergents are likely safer than their market counterparts, however I can not say with certainty to what degree, or if they adhere to the legal guidelines of directly discharging into water."

Good folks, though. Heidi said: "I appreciate your interest in our products, and your caring enough about the ocean to be wary of using harmful detergents." Actually , from what I gather, using "dow" & such (degreasers) is more harmful and can get You in more trouble than dumping oil/gasoline into seawater. Good product for what it is. Probably safe to use in holding tanks that rely on biological rather than chemical treatment, for dump stations that don't allow chemicals & for on site graywater disposal. They were quick to reply too. I just failed to post it until I got an e-mail that someone replied to this thread. (Piwoslaw)

Piwoslaw, haven't heard of such a dishwasher, but a good idea for RVs & such.

Last edited by Slavic381; 11-13-11 at 05:21 PM..
Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 07:51 AM   #28
chadb
Lurking Renovator

The first post says "heating energy" used. Does this include the entire cost of electricity to run the dishwasher? What about the cost of the dishwasher detergents you have to buy because you can't use Dawn (or off brand versions of it). I think we need a better study. My guess is dishwashers are more efficient if you are washing a large enough load and comparing washing the same amount of dishes in the sink at one time. What about washing the 3 or 4 dishes left after each meal in the sink.
chadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 09:43 AM   #29
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

My dishwasher has registered 1kwh three times and 2kwh a different time on my whole house power meter that only counts full kwh before it hops up a number. So over a kwh but under 2kwh. It's a bit of a dishwater amount but that includes all of the electricity from the pump, heater for the hi-temp wash option, and heater for the drying function. Basically the full normal wash with the options on. I'm not sure on the exact water usage because I always forgot and either washed my hands or did something else with the water while it was running but I know it is less than 6 gallons.

With those figures and how many dishes you can get into the dishwasher I can't see how hand washing could possibly use less energy. Pulling up hot water even once a day to do the dishes and rinsing them would be more water than doing a full load of dishes once you've gone through them all. Leaving the counter full of a dishwashers worth of dishes to wash them quick enough while the water is safely hot and rinsing the dishes with a minimal amount of water to make it more efficient would be a serious challenge.

Not to mention the newest Energy Star standard for dishwashers is now(as of January 20, 2012) <4.25 gallons per cycle and <1.372kwh per cycle(<295kwh for 215 cycles).
Federal standard <355kwh and <6.5 gallons.

The average 2.5 gallon aerated head on a sink would probably take 2 minutes worth of rinsing for a full dishwasher load of washing and that 5 gallon is already way over your water usage from the dishwasher. Not to mention the work and time going into doing the washing.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 11-30-12 at 09:51 AM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 10:43 AM   #30
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Asn long as we are turning our attention to the energy that can be saved from washing dishes by some alternate method... the incessant movement of water molecules should be recognized and utilized (seriously).

Just letting dishes stand overnight, submerged in water will do half the washing for you.

No effort...

No energy...

Just molecular movement.

-AC