Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-15-14, 06:48 PM   #21
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Yes, I agree that most cannot see past the purchase price, even when the long-term payout is far greater. As with the natural gas fracking craze and its temporarily low price (but why didn't propane prices drop with LNG prices, they both come from the same source? Hmmm...), hopefully some of us ecorenovators will choose this option. Eventually, natural gas prices will increase to levels a decade ago, after the oil industry has riddled all the lands U.S. landowners will agree to abandon.

Actually, with the latest fad from the manufacturers (stainless steel units that look more like the triple-loaders at the laundromat), the price gap should narrow a bit. One can easily spend in excess of $1000 on an electric dryer to match the $1000+ washer that looks just like it. Just look up Maytag Neptune or anything Samsung or Bosch. I imagine the markup on these units is high enough that a manufacturer could produce a heat pump unit the same size for not much more.
NG would have to hit $30 per DTH to cost as much as running a resistance heat electric dryer. Even a decade ago it only rose to $10 per DTH. Current price on my last bill was $5.20DTH.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 06:56 PM   #22
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Yes, I agree that most cannot see past the purchase price, even when the long-term payout is far greater. As with the natural gas fracking craze and its temporarily low price (but why didn't propane prices drop with LNG prices, they both come from the same source? Hmmm...), hopefully some of us ecorenovators will choose this option. Eventually, natural gas prices will increase to levels a decade ago, after the oil industry has riddled all the lands U.S. landowners will agree to abandon.

Actually, with the latest fad from the manufacturers (stainless steel units that look more like the triple-loaders at the laundromat), the price gap should narrow a bit. One can easily spend in excess of $1000 on an electric dryer to match the $1000+ washer that looks just like it. Just look up Maytag Neptune or anything Samsung or Bosch. I imagine the markup on these units is high enough that a manufacturer could produce a heat pump unit the same size for not much more.
Propane comes from oil production, not natural gas so they are not connected that way.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 07:29 PM   #23
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
NG would have to hit $30 per DTH to cost as much as running a resistance heat electric dryer. Even a decade ago it only rose to $10 per DTH. Current price on my last bill was $5.20DTH.
That sounds like a perfect candidate for going off grid with a natural gas generator. It only needs to get better than 17.3% efficiency to net a savings on electricity alone. A leaned out small car engine coupled to an industrial electric motor can easily do that. The heat produced is a nice bonus as long as you can find ways to use it.
Old 02-15-14, 07:51 PM   #24
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I dont think around here has anything like a heat pump water heater . Its all propain or electric. I never had even heard of a heat pump water heater till i got on here . Nor a mini split.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 07:57 PM   #25
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Propane comes from oil production, not natural gas so they are not connected that way.
Maybe hes talkin bout it comes from down in th ground ???

I dont see it risein though for another 50 yrs or so.. Plenty of drillin fixin to go on in lousiana and texas. I know. Hit oil at 70 ft in texas . Never had it happen before . First time for everything though .
Old 02-15-14, 07:57 PM   #26
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
That sounds like a perfect candidate for going off grid with a natural gas generator. It only needs to get better than 17.3% efficiency to net a savings on electricity alone. A leaned out small car engine coupled to an industrial electric motor can easily do that. The heat produced is a nice bonus as long as you can find ways to use it.
I've considered it, especially for summer peak use. We have TOU rates, 5.5 cents per KWH in summer except 2-7pm M-F. Peak rate averages 18 cents per KWH. Winter is 10 centes per KWH for the 1st 600KWH, then 6 cents per KWH. We never exceed 600KWH.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 08:57 PM   #27
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Maybe hes talkin bout it comes from down in th ground ???

I dont see it risein though for another 50 yrs or so.. Plenty of drillin fixin to go on in lousiana and texas. I know. Hit oil at 70 ft in texas . Never had it happen before . First time for everything though .

I think we have passed the point of no return, in terms of climate change, no matter what we do. Storms you have not seen in parts of the USA and the storms in the UK and a small example. I very much doubt we have 50 years to play with. Won't stop me from doing my energy reduction work though...what else can I do?
Old 02-22-14, 07:27 PM   #28
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Found quite a few over seas . Cant find any new models over here.
Old 02-23-14, 07:44 AM   #29
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Yea, there are lots overseas. Europe has a lot more energy efficient products than we have. There are a lot of reasons but suffice to say, we are our own worst enemy with import regulations and the evil UL, CSA, and all those standards producing groups. But that is another story.
Old 02-23-14, 10:17 AM   #30
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

In America, they are called ventless or condenser clothes dryers. A quick search on Amazon yielded six:

Amazon.com: Ventless - Dryers / Washers & Dryers: Appliances

Homedepot has 7, none are store stock:

at The Home Depot

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (02-23-14)