Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-09, 02:36 PM   #1
Sandcruiser
Helper EcoRenovator

Default EcoModding my fridge

I've got a lousy refrigerator. It is a GE stainless side by side that probably accounts for most of my power consumption. Not only is it inefficient by design, but we live in a hot place--- so the inefficiencies are more important (avg indoor temp during the day is near 100* most days)

Anyhow- I'm looking for not-unattractive modifications to this beast to see if we can make it work better. Buying a new fridge is no-go for me right now. Fridges down here are about 50% more than the same model in the USA.... can't justify that expense yet.

So here are some ideas I've had- I'm getting a killawatt meter soon to test actual performance, but won't probably know "baseline" any time soon.

I have put the temp of the fridge at 39 and the freezer at 5, which should save some power as the delta between ambient temp and internal temp is less.

I've plugged the ice-hole with a towel (from the inside) because the ice delivery system doesn't really work anyway and I had noticed that cold air seeped out of that hole.

Today I noticed that the condenser coils are wrapped in a tube-shape with as simple fan, located under the fridge. In theory, the air pulls throught the back of the fridge, over the coils, then blows across the compressor itself, and somehow finds its way out the front of the fridge at the bottom. Silly, really, to have all the hot stuff under the fridge, radiating and convecting heat upward into the fridge!

So my first mod is going to be to raise the fridge off of the ground with some simple wooden blocks. I figure that the added clearance will allow more air circulation, which should help keep things cooler. It'll also mean that the floor will re-radiate less heat to the compressor.

Depending on how that goes, I plan to get a small fan running down there to further move the air out of the hot area.

Someday, I'd like to look at remote-located fridge coils. Maybe outdoors in a shady spot, or better still--- inside a water heater!

I've checked the seals in the door- they work fine.

Any other tips/hints to make this work better? I'm dubious regarding insulation-- the exterior of the fridge doesn't feel very cool, except the dang doors, which are in a highly visible spot in the house- my wife will kill me if I slap insulation on the outside of them. Maybe some thin insulation inside?

Anyway- looking for ideas, please feel free to share yours

-Steve

Sandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote