Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-16-11, 11:39 PM   #11
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I read it in one of the bits of paper work that was talking about incentives for new water heaters and how they were not covering on demand water heaters because they were not efficient enough and their payback was sometimes as long as the life of the water heater.
Never heard issues about efficient but I have heard from numerous plumbers up here that they never pay for themselves before failing. How true this is I don't know. Also we have insanely cheap electricity rates so it's really really hard to compete on a $$$ basis.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 12:07 AM   #12
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
Gas seems to recover very quickly, but that's a very unscientific personal observation.
Gas recovers faster than electric, which is why I will stick with gas. That and because it's cheaper to run.
Old 09-20-11, 09:50 AM   #13
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I decided to get a 40gal tank due to all the bills coming this week making a few deposits for my upcoming wedding and the needed car work I did not get to go with a high efficiency model. The pay off for a better tank was not going to be worth it to me at this time since I had to have a bit of pipe replaced due to galvanized pipe being connected to copper.

If this would have happened a year later (only have made 1 house payment) or I could have done the install myself I would have used the extra money to get a better one.

The good thing is the new one is more efficient than the old one and we will be turning the temp down on the heater quite a bit as currently it is to hot even though it is not up much at all. I will be able to keep this one clean as the old one was never maintained this will keep the efficiency up.

I will be adding insulation to the heater and some of the pipes but will start a thread on that separately.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote