EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-18, 09:37 PM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default Modern sensor lighting

I'm at the point in my eco build to be planning lighting and the wiring to control it. It is a very open floor plan with multiple egress point to most main rooms(so lots of _way switches if traditional wiring). I know of of motion sensing lights knowing where they will be used and of IR wall switches that can sense occupancy. Are there ceiling area lights that will not go off in if a room is occupied without motion. I want to minimize wiring as much as possible without going bluetooth on too many things. I will be using two remote controlled fans w/light(one each floor). Finding many motion options but not sure if IR is a component of both motion and occupancy feature. Accent and localized reading/work lighting will be traditional.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 03:14 PM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have never seen an IR occupancy sensor that won't keep a light on without at least some movement.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 09:11 AM   #3
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

There are ones now that have a radar ish type system that work better than the IR. But in my experience with sensors for lights you end up wasting more on the tech to turn the lights on and off than you would on electricity. Especially with the lower wattage of modern lights.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-18, 07:25 PM   #4
Drake
DIY Guy

It is not the energy efficiency that is most important(thought they need to be LED) but the ease and unneeded wiring required for several multi way switching wanted.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 05:14 PM   #5
jkp1187
Lurking Renovator

I recommend looking into Zigbee programmable LED lights. I’m using Philips Hue lightbulbs they are a little pricey but have the benefit of working with motion sensors or just turning on or off per a preset schedule. Lots of ways to mke it work.

If you don’t feel like changing out the lightbulbs though, you can also look into the Lutron Caseta programmable switches. Direct replacement for current switches, you know neutral wire or ground required. Can use with motion sensors, or program a schedule
jkp1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 12:45 PM   #6
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We have switched out our lighting to LED as the old ones fail or a new fixture is installed. The main benefit is not the cost savings but the better color light and higher CRI. I hate those old yellow dingy bulbs. White light is much easier on the eyes as yellow makes it harder to see. Human eyes are used to white light from the sun.

As for touch lights... Well they were common in the 70s and 80s and IMO should be left there. It's neat but few see the use of it.

Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote