EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-19, 10:29 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default LG TV LED fix - 47LN5400

We haven't had a TV in over 5 years now. Just haven't felt the need for it, and it ended up sucking up too much time. But, my father in law recently found a 47" LG in a dumpster. He took it home and it didn't work, so my wife asked if I could try to fix it.

So, I plugged it in, the screen blipped with brightness for a second, then went off. I then went to google and typed '47LN5400 fix'. The first youtube video showed the exact same problem I had. The screen blipped with brightness and then went black. He goes through the TV and finds out that one of the LEDs is shorted out from overheating. So, I went on ebay and found a new LED kit to replace them all for $26 shipped.

Fast forward a week and this is what I did:

Flip the TV on its face and take out all the rear cover screws.

Unplug the controller receiver board.

Uncover and remove these ribbon cables going to the LCD screen.

Remove the front bezel.

Remove the metal trim pieces holding the LCD screen to the frame.

Pull off the LCD panel very carefully. Remove another bezel / frame piece. Remove the light diffuser.

This gets you to the light box. The white insert also comes out after unclipping those white spiky things.

Then you have the LED strips that actually light up your TV.

The kit I got had new strips in it, so I hooked those up for testing purposes and sure enough, they all lit up after powering the TV on. So, the old strips get pried out, and the new ones are stuck down with the included double sided tape. Then its just reverse for reassembly.

Thats all you have to do to fix up a TV with a burnt out LED. I do find it very dumb that the OEMs drive their LEDs hard enough to burn them out. This should never happen. Add another few LEDs in there. This model TV is at most from 2013. There is no reason for it to have failed in 6 years. Thankfully the fix was easy and it found its way into someone hands who could fix it.

I'm still debating keeping it. Its on probation right now. If it starts sucking up too much time I'll give it away to someone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_092809235.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	8780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_093215893.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	8781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_093559955.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	8782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_093635428.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	8783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_094206730.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	8784  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_094711892.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	8785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_094910521.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	8786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_095525533.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	8788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_100949174.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	8789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_102651567.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	8790  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 12-27-19 at 12:38 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 05:41 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Thats all you have to do to fix up a TV with a burnt out LED. I do find it very dumb that the OEMs drive their LEDs hard enough to burn them out. This should never happen. Add another few LEDs in there. This model TV is at most from 2013. There is no reason for it to have failed in 6 years. Thankfully the fix was easy and it found its way into someone hands who could fix it.
You can manually turn down the backlight brightness.
Daox (12-27-19)
Old 12-30-19, 07:55 AM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It great to save soothing from the landfill at a reasonable cost. Nice job on the fix.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19, 09:11 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
You can manually turn down the backlight brightness.
Excellent point. I just got a remote I ordered and have been messing around in the menu system. The TV does have an eco mode which it seems to default to. The brightness is set to 38/100. This seems pretty reasonable and it is still bright enough to see easily. I'll probably mess with it a bit more to see if I can't lower it a little more. I know I'd like to hook up the kill-a-watt to it to see how much power its really using.

&
Old 01-03-20, 02:26 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I hooked up my kill-a-watt to the TV the other night. The TV started up and was using close to 100W right off, then it slowly came down to about 45W. I messed around with the settings and really wasn't able to do much better with it. I setup a custom profile and went through their wizard for setting color, brightness, tint, etc. I purposely set the back light and brightness down lower than the eco setting. However, it didn't seem to help a ton. With the settings at zero, the TV was consuming 23W. However, it was way too dark for good viewing. This is a bit more power hungry compared to my old Samsung 46" LED TV, and it was around the same vintage. The Samsung used a respectable 36W after tweaking.

So, with the settings I have it at, it uses about 45W in use. Not bad, but I was hoping for a bit better than that. I do wonder how much more or less efficient the new LEDs are than the OE ones? I can only imagine their quality isn't quite as good. The reflectors on the LEDs were not as big, and didn't seem quite as nice either, so I can only assume other corners were cut as well. However, it is a nice TV and for the price I am certainly not complaining!

&
Old 02-11-20, 10:36 PM   #6
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I had to fix a tv for one of my neighbors. Exactly the same model. It seems this model is particularly prone to led failure of this type.
I also recently fixed a Philips tv, about 5 years old, an smps ic had died (1.51 euros from AliExpress) - saved another from the dump.

@teriastiles: If the white speckles don't move and are there when the screen is supposed to be black then it may be the led driver board is faulty. Worth replacing if you can find one cheap somewhere.
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-12-20)
Old 03-02-20, 11:12 PM   #7
stephanieshome
Lurking Renovator

The idea of LG LED TV fix is good. I like the step by step images that you shared.

stephanieshome is offline   Reply With Quote