EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-14, 03:52 PM   #31
stevehull
Steve Hull

Wizard,

There are many ways to connect the SIPS together. I choose to use 2x4 wood "splines" realizing that this allows some BTU pass through.

Steve

Old 12-14-14, 03:55 PM   #32
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Wizard,

There are many ways to connect the SIPS together. I choose to use 2x4 wood "splines" realizing that this allows some BTU pass through.

Steve
I am in favor of 2by "splines" also.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 02:45 AM   #33
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
My iphone 6 seems to have a glitch as I can't send the pictures. I think I configured the phone wrong to work with secureserver.

Pics soon!

Steve
iPhone 6 - fancy $ ,with its bigger screen for reading etc. although I am frightened to look at the Price of one.. its a 'big' improvement.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 05:07 AM   #34
stevehull
Steve Hull

Tornado in Arcadia (my home town) yesterday! Even in December, Oklahoma can have tornados. It was small F0 and touched down briefly about 6 miles south of my farm. The tv weather people were overjoyed!

The vast majority of Oklahoma tornados are in the weak to moderate category (F0- F3). It is the super ones F5 that hit Moore OK that appropriately make news. The key is to build to minimize roof lift, prevent corner racking, and to hold down the structure on the foundation plate. Metal roof to minimize hail and you are set to withstand much of what mother nature throws you.

A bit of help here. I now have e-mail on my phone and have many pictures of the shop on that phone. But I can't seem to send those pictures to myself on the desktop (sending a message to the same e-mail address). Can someone send me a PM on this?

Feeling rather stupid, but my daughter could not even figure this out!

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 12-15-14 at 05:11 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 09:21 AM   #35
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Steve,

Do you have a phone charger that plugs into a little cube? That little cube then plugs into the wall? Well that charger line can go from your phone to you desktop. Get your charger, take off the little cube that plugs into the wall and use that line to hook your phone to your computer.

See if that works.

Austin
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 09:03 PM   #36
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Send your daughter an email with pictures attached. then she can just forward it back to you. Or like so many other things apple, you can send the pictures to your cloud storage.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 08:04 AM   #37
stevehull
Steve Hull

The shop, built with SIPS did very well over the winter. The minimum temp, with no supplementary heating was 41F (according to wife). This is likely due to the paver floor (large thermal mass), ground temp of about 61F, very low air infiltration and high wall/roof R values.

Next project is to put on about 10kW of PV panels. Shop is oriented due solar south with roof pitch of 3/12 (14 degrees). Not an ideal pitch, but changing it to maximize yearly power production was only ~ 2%.

Here in Oklahoma, we are a split state with approximately equal summer and winter degree days. We use geothermal systems so we use a lot of winter kWhrs. The local electric coop does a yearly roll over on the anniversary of the install, so any unused kWhrs get lost. Net metering is all I have so I will not be putting in a system to do 100%, but about 50% for now.

Been gone for a few months on job with very limited internet so it is good to be back with a 3M download.

Just in time for mud season!

Steve
Old 03-22-15, 08:33 AM   #38
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
The shop, built with SIPS did very well over the winter. The minimum temp, with no supplementary heating was 41F (according to wife). This is likely due to the paver floor (large thermal mass), ground temp of about 61F, very low air infiltration and high wall/roof R values.
While 41F is not really "comfortable", it is impressive given that you have no supplemental heat !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 07:18 PM   #39
stevehull
Steve Hull

Just got a private e-mail suggesting that I do "pitch up" the PV panels as it markedly increases air circulation under/around them. By pitching the top part up, just a few inches, hot air exhausts. I am planing three rows of panels so this thought may well have merit.

It was suggested that I put in an extra block under the rail that is at the top part of each panel row. I assume this would be at the bottom of the "L" bracket that fastens to the metal roof and is lag bolted to the roof trusses.

I do know that heat is a major negative for PV panel kW generation.

Pinball, Robaroni? Thoughts?

Steve
Old 03-23-15, 08:44 AM   #40
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am not sure how you plan on mounting your panels.

I mounted mine 4” off a white metal roof with space between the rows. This lets alot of air under them.

If I have one bad microinverter I don’t have to take out a bunch of panels just replace one microinverted.
If you have the space you might thing about giving the panels some extra room.

I have compared my system to other with the same KW instlled and we seem to generate more power.
I am a good bit over my PV watt est. My panels are not at the best angle but al little off angle does not seem as important as less heat

I don't know if you want to know about panel sales but I was just emailed good 245 watt panels for .74/w

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shop building, sips