Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-23-13, 04:46 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Anyways, my installs are posted here, you should check them out..
See how a novice DIYer does it..
My old 24k BTU units will work pretty well down to about 5 deg F.
Below that, the start using higher power (leveling off at abt 1200w IRCC).
I have read through your post. Thanks for being so detailed. You almost had me convinced to buy gauges and pump etc. but my HVAC friend will be cheaper and he is a good guy.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 04:50 PM   #12
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Awesome, good to hear that Panasonic will support a professionally installed system. I'm looking at using their 12k unit so this is positive to me to know that I can DIY the electrical and mounting and let the lineset work be done by someone willing to do it. In my case, I have a friend who'd be willing to help. Usually if you call an HVAC tech and they don't know you, you'll get a bunch of 'tough luck' because they don't want to touch a unit if they can't do the whole job because they don't make much money with this sort of thing. Depending on the cost of equipment(vacuum pump, vacuum gauge, flaring tools, etc) versus hiring out a friend, I might do the whole thing myself and skip the warranty but if the price is decent for someone to finish the job and put their name as the installer for warranty purposes, I'll hire the friend. I know there is a person or a few on this forum who found someone to finish the job via a Craigslist services wanted ad but I'm a little nervous that someone like that might try to shortcut the work so I'd have to be clear how I want it pumped down.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 09-23-13 at 04:53 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 05:26 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Consider this-

You could install a couple of smaller mini-split units in high traffic areas of your house (or one larger multi-split with multiple indoor units). These could be controlled at will by the occupants to maintain comfort. You could leave the existing HVAC system as it is, and set it for a wide setpoint spread. The mini units would provide high-efficiency demand heating and cooling, where the central unit would keep the home from overheating or freezing during extreme conditions, say less than 5% of the time. Central unit could also be used for air cleaning/circulation by running just the blower sometimes. Cheap initial cost, energy saving, and leaves room for future improvements while saving energy now and utilizing solar power for heating and cooling.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Xringer (09-23-13)
Old 09-23-13, 05:36 PM   #14
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I have read through your post. Thanks for being so detailed. You almost had me convinced to buy gauges and pump etc. but my HVAC friend will be cheaper and he is a good guy.
It's nice to have the tools needed to DIY repair a system.
Repairing the old unit (that was replaced under warranty)
wasn't really that hard, and it's still working like a brand new unit.

However, the older indoor unit has started to act up in cooling mode.
(Seems to be speeding up and slowing down).
So, I'm half excepting it to fail when the 24/7 heating season starts..
I may be hauling up the AC tool kit again, soon..
Old 09-23-13, 05:41 PM   #15
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Consider this-

You could install a couple of smaller mini-split units in high traffic areas of your house (or one larger multi-split with multiple indoor units). These could be controlled at will by the occupants to maintain comfort. You could leave the existing HVAC system as it is, and set it for a wide setpoint spread. The mini units would provide high-efficiency demand heating and cooling, where the central unit would keep the home from overheating or freezing during extreme conditions, say less than 5% of the time. Central unit could also be used for air cleaning/circulation by running just the blower sometimes. Cheap initial cost, energy saving, and leaves room for future improvements while saving energy now and utilizing solar power for heating and cooling.
That's kinda what we are doing with our two Sanyos, during the summer.
Set the main house for 24 or 25C and the den for 23C..
Since that's where we hang out most of the time..
We spent peanuts for cooling this summer. (Wasn't super hot around here).
Old 09-23-13, 07:06 PM   #16
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Consider this-

This is exactly what I have in mind. My office is the smaller room it will get the 9,000 but unit. The other unit will go in the great room blowing toward the breakfast nook it will get the 12,000 but system. That is where my wife works.

Can anyone have any advice on where the placement should be?
Has anyone mounted one above there bed?

Last edited by pinballlooking; 09-23-13 at 10:12 PM..
Old 09-25-13, 08:01 AM   #17
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

If you buy Fujitsu from www.greendroplet.com they will warranty it as long as you have it installed by a HVAC guy. This is a good option the 12RLS2 is a very nice unit.

This is a Gov test between Fujitsu 12RLS and Mitsubishi
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy11osti/52175.pdf

Last edited by pinballlooking; 09-25-13 at 08:42 AM..
Old 09-25-13, 12:10 PM   #18
stevehull
Steve Hull

I have a guest house here (central Oklahoma) that is slightly smaller (1800 sq feet) and I have a 2 ton (24K BTU) open loop geothermal heat pump in it. It is two stage and very rarely is it ever in stage two. Stage 1 is about 2/3'rds the 24 K or about 18 KBTU.

I have emergency back-up strips (15 kW), but I have disabled them with a simple switch.

Four tons seems WAY too big. You and I have similar heating/cooling needs.

If you are on 8 acres, then consider an open loop (aka "pump and dump) geothermal unit. A two ton unit uses about 4-6 gallons per minute. You save a lot of money.

BUT, you must have a good, relatively shallow source of water. Pumping water up from 500 feet below ground is very expensive.

You probably are on a water well anyway . . . Depending on the type of well, depth, etc, you may need to increase the size of your well pump so that you can supply house needs together with HVAC needs (open loop situation).

A simple pond would be a good place to dump the water. If you are in a rural area, without fire hydrants, then having a pond on site can save you some 15-20% on your home insurance bill. Check with your agent.

But before you do anything, you seal up the house, insulate it properly and do the cheap stuff first.

Also check with your electric company for rebates beyond the federal 30% tax credit. I got $850 per ton.

Steve
Old 09-25-13, 12:41 PM   #19
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply. We have city water and ground water is deep and very hit or miss.
Next door they hit water on the third try. I was going to get a quote for Geo thermal yesterday but I had to cancel. I do wonder if I an oversized @ 4 ton.
Old 09-28-13, 12:51 PM   #20
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I am running a 10 - 15 year old Goodman 92% two stage gas furnace . It never need to go to high flame , unless I monkey with the Tstat . The A/C condenser is a 4 ton 13 SEER Goodman R22 unit .

If I ever did go with a Heat Pump to replace this unit , I would keep the gas heat , to take over when Out Side Air temp dropped to the cross over cost point ( I do not know what that temp is ? ) .

But , until / unless the A/C dies , I will stay with what I have + my mini split HP / A/C , I installed this summer .

GSHP is not an option , for me .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote