EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-16-13, 11:17 AM   #1
student
Lurking Renovator

Default heat pumps for new house

Just read some good stuff here thanks to all, i am trying to build my own home here in Ontario 1HR30Mins north east of Toronto, will install a ground loop heat pump. how much 1.25 hdp pipe (which i already own) will be needed for a 1400 sq ft homeand what size pumps should i use, the ground is damp and fine sand at 8ft deep, student, never to old to learn

student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 11:58 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Hello Student. I hope you don't mind but I moved your post off to its own to get a bit more attention instead of being buried in another thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 04:23 PM   #3
student
Lurking Renovator

Not at all Doax, any help is good, thanks for looking out for the folks in this forum
Old 10-18-13, 06:43 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Please elaborate on your proposal so we can get a clue. Sizing a geo system depends on many factors, mainly the heat load of the home and the system's expectations.

For example, if you are planning on building a passive house, you may only need a 3/4 ton system to heat and cool the house and provide hot water. OTOH, if you're building a log cabin, a 4 ton system might not keep up with demand when the wind blows hard in January.

You will be able to use your PE pipe for your ground loop. How much depends on the capacity of your system and ground temp and composition. Also, a slinky-type coil usually uses more tubing length than straight runs of the same capacity. How you do it depends on your land and your initiative/wallet.

As always, sweat equity can and will save a ton of money if you do the job right the first time through. So think long and hard before you do anything (except experiment).
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 10:05 AM   #5
student
Lurking Renovator

have some info at the property (where the house will be built) will dig it out this weekend, i have an old backhoe so i intend to dig and lay the pipe & weld any joints myself,i understand the duct size needs to be 30% larger and regular duct work,but with my limited knowledge i could be wrong, all knowledge is good many thanks
Old 10-20-13, 06:16 AM   #6
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Student, have you had a proper heat loss done on the house? There are many ways to install a GSHP but matching it with heat loss is important, especially with forced air heating (heating a tank of water and using it to heat floors or a fan coil is easier but a bit more work).

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote