EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-09, 03:58 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Urban garden ideas

I know there are a few urban dwellers here. Here are some tips for urban garden ideas. Please add your own ideas.

I used this one just before we moved. We were in an upper flat that had one of those tiny porches off the side of the house. It really wasn't big enough for even a grill being around 4 square feet. So, with a few plant holders that allowed planters to be hung on the hand rail, and smaller pots we were able to get a decent crop of vegetables growing on about a 4 square foot area with a handrail around it.

Here is another idea. It is basically stacking consecutively smaller boxes on each other to make more ground area for the plants. I like the pyramid one a bit better as it deals with less boxes.

Small Footprint, Big Yield: Create an Easy Micro Organic Urban Garden Today! | Urban Gardens | Unlimited Thinking For Limited Spaces

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_urban_garden.jpg
Views:	7442
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	453  

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-09 at 01:25 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 07:46 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Just adding to the list here. This design takes advantage of rain water and holds it in a tank to slowly feed the plants. It also looks pretty sweet. Definitely more involved to build though.

Student Designs Rainwater Harvesting Vertical Garden : TreeHugger

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vertical-garden.jpg
Views:	29934
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	455  

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-09 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-31-09, 03:31 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Here is an excellent DIY on making raised garden bed. Tons of pictures and goes step by step.

Build your own raised flower/vegetable bed

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gardenbox.jpg
Views:	6659
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	456  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-09 at 01:27 PM..
Old 08-31-09, 03:42 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Here is another one, just using a fire escape and some buckets/planters. I did something very similar to this when I lived in an upper flat before I moved into my house. Of course mine weren't self watering... Anyway, it is pretty amazing what you can grow in such small spaces.

Urban Organic Gardener: Self-Watering Fire Escape Garden in NYC | EarthFirst.com

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	urban-organic-gardener-2.jpg
Views:	5309
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	458  

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-09 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-17-09, 09:14 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

This one is interesting. They used a closet door shoe organizer to plant a small herb garden.

DIY Vertical Herb Garden with a Shoe Organizer @greenUPGRADER

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planters.jpg
Views:	5246
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	457  

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-09 at 01:28 PM..
Old 09-20-09, 12:09 AM   #6
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

One of the projects that I had to make in Home Ec in JR High school was a locker caddy... It's an organizer made from a recycled/repurposed pair of jean denim, that's basically a pad with 3 or 4 (or more) pockets on it. Denim holds water, and I never used it as a locker caddy, so I ran a soaker hose into the back of it with a 2-liter bottle attached to the top that I'd fill with water when it was empty.

The water would always run out fairly quickly, as the denim didn't hold it well, it would drip. But plants in the pockets always got enough water, as they grew quite nicely. I made a few starter plant gifts for some family, but apparently, no one else in mi familia knows how to grow stuff, and they killed them. I stopped using it, and I'm not sure what's happened to it since 10 years ago.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 01:23 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Here is another interesting one I stumbled on. This one uses cinder blocks as planters.

Getting Creative With Cinder Block Gardening | Urban Organic Gardener

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blockgardening.jpg
Views:	9176
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	452  

&
Old 11-05-09, 01:25 PM   #8
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

This, I've seen. Often, I see people who lay block retaining walls, but don't cap the tops of them with paver stones. Eventually, nice plants grow out of them, and if properly maintained, they look really nice.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:48 AM   #9
Higgy
The Gardener

I never understood the first step stone one other then aesthetics and trying to get all the plants in the sunlight. It really covers the same amount as if you put it all in one square plot instead of stepping it up. It doesn't really save on room.

My garden is the third post. I have 4 4x8 plots. I may make more in the future when the kids are older, but for now it's fine.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 01:19 AM   #10
barbara356
Lurking Renovator

If you have a house with a balcony, there are a lot of ideas over the net, how to decorate it.

barbara356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garden, urban