EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-08, 01:06 PM   #11
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

Weighed my options on a storage building/garage/shop. Eventually I plan on building a real workshop I can pull my truck into, but I needed storage quick and i haven't had much free time. So I picked up this gem. 12x16, real framing (not home depot stapled plywood crap). plans include filling the back half with junk, and the front half with tools. Also going to build a lean-to off the side facing the rear of the yard (right side wall) to park the b2 and lawnmower under.

weighing my lighting options between a bunch of cfl's, or florescent tubes.

Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 01:16 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Nice shed. You have your first lawn ornament.

A bunch of CFLs would probably be cheaper, but the long tubes are nice for more even lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 02:41 PM   #13
Higgy
The Gardener

<--Jealous

Very nice man.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 04:01 PM   #14
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks!

I'm thinking about 2 rows of 3 cfl's close to the roof, and one additional cfl over my planned workbench area.

oh yeah, the shed is yard ornament #2

this is yard ornament #1 parked next to it.

looks like I have plenty of room to add on a simple tin roof lean-to right under the eave, and still have enough room for a decent roof pitch.
Old 10-09-08, 06:56 AM   #15
toyobug
avid DIY'r

lookin good Tony. do you alot of auto mechanic work?
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 07:38 AM   #16
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobug View Post
lookin good Tony. do you alot of auto mechanic work?

thanks!

i used to work on other peoples rigs as a hobby. putting on lift kits, minor motor work, etc..., but only if it was to help them learn to do things themselves. but too many people just wanted me to do the work and weren't interested in learning anything, so i stopped. now i just work on my own stuff.

you can follow the build-up of my Bronco II HERE
Old 10-09-08, 08:30 AM   #17
Higgy
The Gardener

Man, I wish you lived near me. I'd love to learn from you.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 10:22 AM   #18
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Man, I wish you lived near me. I'd love to learn from you.

the best way to learn is to grab a repair manual and jump in. I started working on that Bronco II when I was 12 years old. got a socket/wrench/screwdriver set for my birthday and started taking stuff apart. all by myself. my stepfather had no interest in doing anything with me. My mom helped out some, taught me how to rebuild the carb and some other stuff. but mostly it was trail and error.

I'm 25 now, and theres still a whole lot i don't know. most of what i do know is carburated vehicles. i have a feeling cheap, simple vehicles may play a big hand in my future.
Old 10-24-08, 12:56 PM   #19
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

currently gathering up parts to run power to the shed. i work with a couple electricians that are giving me some advice along the way. one told me to run everything to the breaker box, and he would hook everything up properly and double-check my work.

i'm going to dig a trench and bury the wire in pvc pipe. code is 18", but i'm outside city limits so i don't have to worry about that. i'll put it as deep as i can, though. there will be some kind of marker at the beginning and end, that way i can just run a string line if i ever need to dig in that area again. oh yeah, keeping with the DIY theme, trench will be made by me and a shovel.

picked up some "porch light" housings (that will fit cfl's rather nicely) for $2 for the outside. gonna see what kinds of stuff i can find amongst the people i work with. should be able to find some indoor light fixtures of some kind, and maybe some switches and outlets. may even put a ceiling fan/light combo in there, i've got an extra one thats kinda small.

Last edited by Tony Raine; 10-24-08 at 01:00 PM..
Old 10-30-08, 10:10 AM   #20
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

did some measuring, and formed a different game plan.

heres the deal. i have a spare bedroom thats mostly storage. someone uses it maybe once a month. its only power draw is one overhead light with one cfl. and its closer to the shed than the main breaker box. and it has an outlet right under a window.

130' from house window to shed.

so i'm going to take out the outlet, drill a hole through the wall to the outside, slide some pvc through, and silicone it up. then just install a blank plate on the inside. that will be my start for the wiring. from there, i can 90 degree elbow it into the ground.

I'll probably go with 12 gauge wire. haven't priced it out yet, but i'm sure it wont be cheap. i may downgrade to 14 if there is a big price difference. i've seen whole houses wired up with thinner, so i think it will be ok.

the shed itself will probably be wired with 14, mainly because i can get shorter scraps for free.

i think i'll just dig up some regular light bulb fixtures (cheapest possible), and use some of the old cfl's from my house, and buy some new ones for the house.

i'm about to draw up a general plan, i'll scan it later.