EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-13, 08:54 PM   #1
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Lightbulb Those with amp clamps, TED's: How long does the water heater stay on?

So I am looking to ecomod my electric water heater (EWH) and put it on ta timer. Just out of curiosity, how long is the heat cycle on a non modded preferably 40 gallon tank? I'm trying to come up with a schedule for my timer. Benchracing if you will...

I currently am flipping the breaker just to experience powerless hot water. I flipped it yesterday and had a hot shower roughly 24hrs later. (AND it was 40 when I took it (but still 70 inside))

So what kind of light can you guys shed on me?????

Old 12-23-13, 10:36 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

I have no TED, or clamp meter, but I do have a timer, and my water heater runs no more than 4h30m a day, typically not more than three. My incoming water temp is ~74°F. The thermostat is set at 125°F. My water heater is a 50 gallon Whirlpool "EnergySmart" model which originally had two 4500W 240V elements. The yellow energy guide tag says it uses 4622kWh per year. (~2.8 hours per day)

If you're wondering why my heating time is longer than the energy guide tag: I've modded both my heating elements. My lower element is a 1500W (240V) element. My upper is a 3800W (240V) element. (the originals were both 4500W, and the Whirlpool "EnergySmart" models are notorious for burning out brain board relays using the 4500W stock heating elements) In addition to the element swap, I have also taken the trouble to insert a digital thermometer probe against the wall of the tank in the upper element hole using a thermometer that records Min/Max. My minimum tank temp in the last ~4 weeks was 97°F. Max was 125°F.

Using a timer, I force my water heating to be accomplished using the most PV energy I possibly can. My 50 gallon water heater feeds a household of two adults, a front load washing machine, and an automatic dishwasher. The dishwasher is set to "temp sense" and heats its own water as necessary. The front load washer has a supplemental boost water heater built into it to generate the temperatures necessary for sanitizing cycles.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
RobbMeeX (12-24-13)
Old 01-05-14, 08:11 PM   #3
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

ecorenovator.org/forum/conservation/1384-standby-losses-hotwater-tank-add-up.html

Decided to forgo measuring and first wrap, then timer. Looking at the WH40.