EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-14, 01:19 AM   #31
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuck View Post
Their combo modem/voip gateway boxes also have an internal battery.
Do you think that the battery has enough capacity to be useful in a blackout?

-AC

Old 06-29-14, 01:51 AM   #32
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Do you think that the battery has enough capacity to be useful in a blackout?

-AC
Not sure about that, I've run across these 2-3 times troubleshooting for friends/family. Always have to find a paper clip and the reset button, cycling power doesn't reboot them.

Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 06:03 PM   #33
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I've come across a VOIP unit where the battery probably had a displacement of about 8 oz or about the size of a coffee mug in total volume. I didn't check to see if it was a sealed lead-acid, NiCd, NiMH, or lithium ion and I've never seen the specs on how long they will run equipment but I imagine there's some FAQ somewhere on the performance.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 11:43 PM   #34
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Here you go, up to 8 hours backup, 5 hours talk time. Wouldn't work well for the wilds of Sonoma County, where our power has gone missing for up to 7 days. We're about 50 miles North of San Francisco.

XFINITY Voice relies on the power in your home. A backup battery for your leased voice modem could help maintain your service in the event of a power outage, allowing you to stay connected for up to 8 hours with 5 hours of talk time.

According to posters in Arris TG862G Backup Battery - Comcast Help and Support Forums, you have to buy that battery for $40 after you install the box.

Pat

Last edited by wuck; 06-29-14 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Formatting
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:14 AM   #35
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I've come across a VOIP unit where the battery probably had a displacement of about 8 oz or about the size of a coffee mug in total volume. I didn't check to see if it was a sealed lead-acid, NiCd, NiMH, or lithium ion and I've never seen the specs on how long they will run equipment but I imagine there's some FAQ somewhere on the performance.
This is really interesting.

It got me thinking, that with telephone is such a vital link... I mean even cellphones, if they are charged up, and even if they are not provisioned... by law, they must be able to make a successful 911 call.

It seems to me that it is an oversight for VoIP phones to not have an internal battery such as you just described, so that emergency calls, such as 911 can be made in a power outage. Because power outages may easily accompany catastrophe such as a tornado, or large scale fire.

-AC
Old 06-30-14, 12:46 PM   #36
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

I have no cell phone. Haven't had one since ...i can't remember...5 years or more. I had a pager in high school (thought i was cool). I remember mid 90s there were maybe 2 people at my school with cellphones (their parents). Back then a plan was maybe 70 minutes a month ($20) ..something like that. That was also the days of dial up internet.

I used Skype years ago and then switched to Ooma and have had that for maybe 5 years (would have to look at the box). I got the old one with no fees (bought it off ebay i think). Its worked great. No complaints. Hasn't cost me a dime (other then needing cable internet).

warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote