EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-10-09, 07:24 AM   #91
Daox
Administrator

I got a chance to do some mowing with the mower finally! I still haven't resized the pulleys, but it does work great as is. The deck is spinning a bit fast yet and it really shoots the grass out pretty far. It had no problem cutting through ~6 inches of grass!

I had to do all the cutting in 1st gear as 2nd is still too fast. I did notice that when the deck is engaged and you're actually cutting grass, the mower does slow down. So, 1st gear is no longer as fast as I'd like to do actual mowing. So, I will still be resizing the pulleys, but I have a much better feel for how much to resize them now.

Oh yes, I got video this time too.

Finally happy Darin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 08:01 AM   #92
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Nice video!

It doesn't seem that slow. No slower than a push mower anyway. Was that first gear?

You can really see the force of the air coming out the discharge chute.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 08:24 AM   #93
Daox
Administrator

Yup, the cutting was done in 1st gear. I did try 2nd and it was pretty fast for mowing.

&
Old 09-10-09, 01:47 PM   #94
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I love the fact that the mower has full moon hubcaps on the back tires. Very AERO!

I would complain that I would like my Elec-Trak to go a little faster.

Guess that's the difference in gearing between a stock manufactured mower and trying to build one yourself.

Those batteries look like they hold up OK?

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 10:52 PM   #95
Daox
Administrator

The batteries really don't last too long. Once I load them up off of a fresh charge the voltage plummets down to around 35.5V. However, they did last longer last night then they did the other time I had it out. I don't know how long these have been sitting. Perhaps a little exercise will be good for them.

&
Old 09-14-09, 06:53 PM   #96
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It's alive!

Are those actually moonies on the wheels, or are they weights?
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:34 PM   #97
Daox
Administrator

I think they're just moonies. I haven't tried to take them off though.

&
Old 09-14-09, 08:54 PM   #98
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I think they're just moonies. I haven't tried to take them off though.
If you can pick up the assend of the tractor, they're not weights. The smallest weights I know of are 35# per wheel, and most are 55# and higher. I can pick up the rear end of most tractors to about hip height, but if they've got weights, I can only get one tire off the ground.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 11:13 AM   #99
beem0
Lurking Renovator

Good story. I'm new here but like what I see so far!

How do you know when you reach 50% depth of discharge? If you got a hour run time while only taking the batteries down 50% that would be great!

-Ryan
beem0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 04:12 PM   #100
Daox
Administrator

Hello and welcome to ER beem0!

You can monitor battery pack voltage to know when you've gotten down to 50% dod (depth of discharge). Right now, I've just been using a voltmeter across all the batteries. I plan on using an individual LED battery monitor (3 bar graphs basically) very similar to this. A guy from the local electric car club has designed a similar unit and will be making a batch of them.

I've been going over my battery choices and I think I am going to settle on three group 31 12V batteries. These won't give me the run time I really want, but the more I think about it, the less I want to lug around six 6v batteries. The mower is already heavy enough with Ben's three gel cells on it. I don't even want to think about three more batteries of that size. Plus, I have to mount them all too. The group 31 will be rated a tiny bit over 100Ah and give me about a half hour of run time to 50% dod. This is acceptable. I also looked at the numbers, and assuming I used the mower once a week and ran the batteries down to 100% dod, I would still get roughly 11 years out of them. If I went down to 50% dod, I would get 22 y ears. I'd have to double check that though. So, going to 100% dod, and my 1 hour of run time is possible for a hit to the life of the batteries.

&

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor