EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-04-12, 03:15 PM   #1
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Attic fan direction in or out ?

I have attic with two attic fans, each at one end of the attic. The are mounted in front of a dormer vent and each is pointing so that the air blows out.

I'm wondering if I should redirect one of them so that it points into the attic?? This way it would pull in cooler air from outside, create more of a flow thru the attic, and exhaust out the other like it does now...thoughts?

eco dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:56 PM   #2
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

If there is a way for the air to be be pulled up through the house, then I'd leave it like it is. Running the fans when the temps are high up in the attic will cool the attic and the house; especially if you run them during the night and open up windows in the basement or in the rooms you want to cool.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 05:43 PM   #3
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

They are probably both blowing out to pull outside air up through the soffits. This would help keep the lower roof sheathing cooler, and avoid hot spots where air is not circulating properly. Your shingles should last longer.
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 09:56 PM   #4
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Ok, so NB please read again, these are attic fans NOT a WHF (Whole House Fan)...so they are only in the attic to exhaust heat from the attic.

Yah, I was thinkn the soffits pull outside air as well, but you know how it is when you get a draft flowing, as opposed to just air being pulled slowly from anywhere thru the soffits.

Also, I don't have the best options for vents since these are dormer vents and not a nice big gable vent. And, when I go on the roof and feel the exhaust I don't "feel" a lot of "hot air" like I would expect...thoughts on helping the air out of the attic, thanks?
Old 06-04-12, 10:54 PM   #5
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

From your explanation it seems the attic fans are pulling more air through the dormer vents then through the soffits. Thus, they are not pulling the hot air out of the attic space. Very poor placement of the fans.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:31 PM   #6
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

But what are my options, all I have is dormer vents? I know they made a difference when I installed them, but what else can I do? My roof is concrete tiles, and I'm just trying to improve the exhaust.

Ok, so more about the house. It's a 2-story, my bedroom is directly above a the garage, which the mrs. likes to park in when "a million" degrees outside, then as the car sits in the garage, the heat radiates thru the garage ceiling and in thru the bedroom floor, meanwhile the attic heat is building up, so now it feels like a nice toasty "hot dog bun" when I'm trying to sleep at nite....argh!

Anyway, my dilemna with trying to dissipate the heat from various sources so the upstairs is not so hot.
Old 06-05-12, 06:55 AM   #7
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'd leave the fans as they are; as the heated air is going to "want" to exhaust out on its own even if the fans were not running. So, they are assisting the natural flow. If air is getting into the attic from anywhere it is better than nothing. Even within the attic, the air will be stratified by the heat.

What color are the roof tiles? Could they be painted white, to lower their albedo? This would cool the attic substantially.

You should consider replacing the fans with a whole house fan, if they are still not up to the task. Or at least add a few more smaller fans. I have two window fans in my attic installed in the only two small double hung windows up there, and even though they are far lower CFM than a whole house fan, they do a great deal to cool the whole house overnight; and thereby they help it a lot during the next day, as well.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:50 AM   #8
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Another question is, Do you have enough soffit vents?
Have you thought of putting an exhaust fan in the garage?
Start a "project" in the garage that takes up too much room.
Old 06-05-12, 10:21 AM   #9
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Oky-doky, I'll leave the fans as is, pointing out. Oh yea, tiles are brownish/greyish color and I live in an association, so I don't think I can paint them.

I'm also wondering how then to maybe get more air flow exhausting thru the the dormer vent. The dormer vent is ~18" across, but it's really only a semi-circle. The attic fan's are ~18" as well, but they're trying to push that air thru a smaller hole via the dormer vent. I'm going to really seal off the attic fan housing so that it's air-tight to the roof too.

So, I'm not really wanting to do an roof cutting or tile work, is there any way to make the dormer vent bigger to allow more air flow from the attic fan?

Last edited by eco dude; 06-05-12 at 11:05 AM..
Old 06-05-12, 08:55 PM   #10
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Ohhhh, I totally misread your first post. Now I understand.
But the question still remains unanswered. Do you have enough soffit vents?
Have you ever put a box fan too close to a wall?