EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-10-15, 01:51 PM   #131
stevehull
Steve Hull

Why is the COP so low? I would have though with an virtually infinite "sink" (expansion in cold highly conductive water) that a COP in the 4-5 range would be expected. There are no lossy heat plate of coaxial heat exchangers and the efficiency of the coil in the hot water tank has a very high dT indicating superb exchange.

With water that approaches the condenser temp (170F), I was expecting a decrease in COP, but only 2.5 to start?

Nothing wrong with something 2.5 times the efficiency of a resistance element! But as the hot water tank heats up, will this COP approach 1.0?

Concentrating water temp is a huge thermodynamic task.

How might this system of direct exchange be made better. I was hoping for 15-20K of BTU to come out of the hole.

Would a different gas work better than propane?

Thoughts?

Steve

Old 06-10-15, 08:04 PM   #132
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
...I was hoping for 15-20K of BTU to come out of the hole...
What exactly are you basing your hope on, Steve?

Is there any math that would support your hope?

-AC
Old 06-10-15, 08:05 PM   #133
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Oooh, those latest numbers look so, so good. you are now at the points where most engineers would stop optimizing the capillary tube size and move on to the charge. Your superheat and subcooling temperatures are beginning to converge at 30 to 35 degrees each. The COP has broken 3. This unit is now into the 1500 to 2000 retail price range, not counting installation. Awesome!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 08:13 PM   #134
stevehull
Steve Hull

AC, I think you had the same thoughts on the efficiency being better than 2.5 or so. Rather than my math, here are your calculations on COP . . . (copied from your post)

CALCULATE COP

COP = (power-out) / (power-in)

COP = (4279.1 watts) / (1350 watts)

cop = 3.2

I think that your efficiency will be better.

Best,

-AC
Old 06-10-15, 08:17 PM   #135
stevehull
Steve Hull

AC, here is a post where you estimate 15,000 BTU/hr coming from the hole if only the bottom half is in water. Memphis said he has water up to within 6 feet of the surface, so perhaps 15,000 - 20,000 BTU/hr.

I think we agree, don't you?

Also consider if there is water in the bottom of the hole. Migrating or not, a massive body of water in direct contact with your copper pipe is going to transfer orders of magnitude more heat than dry or moist earth per square inch. 10 Meters of 1/4 inch pipe may be good for up to 15000 BTU/H if the bottom half of it is sitting in an aquifer.
Old 06-10-15, 08:38 PM   #136
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I have more data to post but want to touch on the things said so far.

Ac, Thanks for graphing the data, that is really cool. I'm going to print them so I can look all official when someone ask me about it.
That is some very interesting info from that article. You are amazing with math. And thank you again for the COP calculations. I do not think the numbers are that far off, I do think people underestimate just much heat can be transferred with copper tubing in water.
I held off really assuming too much til I got the system in its sweet spot. Your guess is not as far off as you might think (more on that soon(and I am using tabs this time))

Steven, I'm pretty sure Jeff answered all your questions WAY better than I could have. And I think you will be happy with the latest data. I can for sure say that my COP will not be anywhere near 1. (more on that soon)

Jeff, thanks for putting things in a way my brain can understand them. Your post the past few days have led to where this system is now. My fingers are crossed as well. I went a head and trimmed some more. System is running really well, kinda playing with the charge and fine tuning because this temp (112) is where it will probably be the most.

Ac, you said it well a few post back. Its amazing to see everyone pull together on this project. I owe a lot of people a beer.
MEMPHIS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 09:45 PM   #137
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Like usual, AC has nailed the math and performance analysis of this setup. His two custom charts tell the story pretty well. Memphis did his homework on this one pretty well. The borehole is sized just about exactly for the intended load. What I see is a stable rig moving around 900 watts of heat or better going into the tank using around 400 watts of electric power. That's simply amazing for a first project!

Steve, to get 3 tons of capacity out of the ground, there must be enough surface area to gather heat with. Assuming the same conditions witnessed in this project, multiply by 9. 9 runs like Memphis has, spaced out enough not to interfere with each other. If you are shooting for a COP of 5, double that figure. Then you might not run out of evaporator surface area. If Mr. Memphis in MS had a larger compressor to bust or confirm the myth on this site, the ground might shake and rumble from what we might unleash! The main point here is that how much you want to get out of something depends on what you put into it. Too many owners regret not putting more ground loop into the earth at build time.
Old 06-10-15, 10:03 PM   #138
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

ime in Minutes - Water Temp F - Watts - Borehole F - COP
00 99.5 00 63.5
30 103.5 .15 54.7 3.25
60 107.5 .34 51.8 2.56
90 111.5 .53 50.0 2.56
120 114.5 .72 50.0 1.93
150 118.5 .92 49.5 2.44
170 121 1.05 49.5 2.34

Just a note, all water temps were taken at about the half way point in the tank. The top of the tank was normally 3+ hotter.

Water temp in tank:107.7
Discharge line temp at entrance of tank:167
Line temp at exit of tank:117.2
Discharge temp at compressor: 169 @ 245 psi
Suction line temp at compressor: 64 @ 55 psi
Amps: 3.45 Borehole temp: 51.8

Water temp in tank:116.5
Discharge line temp at entrance of tank:175
Line temp at exit of tank:123.1
Discharge temp at compressor: 177 @ 262 psi
Suction line temp at compressor: 67 @ 54 psi
Amps: 3.55 Borehole temp:50

Water temp in tank:119.5
Discharge line temp at entrance of tank:176.5
Line temp at exit of tank:127
Discharge temp at compressor: 181 @ 272 psi
Suction line temp at compressor: 66 @ 55 psi
Amps: 3.62 Borehole temp:49.3

Charge of 5.7oz (weight)

I think my cap tube is just right. I'm gonna hook this tank into the main water heater tomorrow and just watch the savings happen. I also bought I kilowatt meter that will save the data when the power goes off so I can record usage over a long period of time.

I am humbled by this reading. And tank of hot water heated by sucking the heat out of a 30 foot borehole. The top reading is water temp the bottom is the bottom of the borehole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0014.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	5437  
MEMPHIS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 02:02 AM   #139
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
AC, I think you had the same thoughts on the efficiency being better than 2.5 or so. Rather than my math, here are your calculations on COP . . . (copied from your post)

CALCULATE COP

COP = (power-out) / (power-in)

COP = (4279.1 watts) / (1350 watts)

cop = 3.2

I think that your efficiency will be better.

Best,

-AC
SH, this post was intended to illustrate how to determine COP, as I have done for many other hackers. These numbers were generated to aproximate what was realized from an ASHP hack in California. Nothing at all to do with your estimate of 15-20K of BTU from a 30 foot hole in Mississippi.

While it is true that I had an unexamined hope that the COP from this project would be higher... and it may prove to be higher yet. But if you bothered to read my post on this thread (#130) that compares historical studies to the results that MEMPHIS91 has gotten, I have cautiously de-rated my previous expectations.

My question is what is YOUR math that would lead you to your 15-20K of BTU out put? You are an engineer, right?

Quote:
AC, here is a post where you estimate 15,000 BTU/hr coming from the hole if only the bottom half is in water. Memphis said he has water up to within 6 feet of the surface, so perhaps 15,000 - 20,000 BTU/hr.
Where is the post you are referring to?

Quote:
I think we agree, don't you?
I do not think we agree. What would make you think that?

Quote:
Also consider if there is water in the bottom of the hole. Migrating or not, a massive body of water in direct contact with your copper pipe is going to transfer orders of magnitude more heat than dry or moist earth per square inch. 10 Meters of 1/4 inch pipe may be good for up to 15000 BTU/H if the bottom half of it is sitting in an aquifer.
First of all, it is true that wet sand conducts better than dry sand, and the difference is in the charts I posted above.

Second, wet sand is not a massive body of water. It concerns me that someone who claims to be an engineer would not know the difference.

Thirdly, do you realize that order of magnitude refers to 10X, and when you say "orders of magnitude" you are implying 10X, 100X 1000X and upward. We are not theorizing about celestial mechanics here, we are talking about a hole in the ground in Mississippi.

I am not seeing any convincing understanding of physics in your statements here, let alone math.

Do you actually have any information or math of your own that supports you expectation of 15,000 - 20,000 BTU/hr from a 30 ft hole?

Pretty simple question SH, from one engineer to another.

-AC
Old 06-11-15, 08:00 AM   #140
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Guys, it was me who made the exaggerated claims. This is what the people who are not scientists do to rile up the starving masses who do the labor. When the project is done, the scientists reconile the projections, claims, and the reality. If the project turns out as least as well as was projected, everyone is happy. This one has already done better than it should have on paper.