EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-17, 05:43 PM   #1
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Lightbulb Panasonic Heat pump boiler

I've got great respect for the guys building their own heatpump systems, but didn't want you guys to miss out on this one.

Due to high subsidies on heat pumps in the Netherlands I was able to pick one of these up for just over a €100. The subsidy is €1150 and you're allowed to buy anywhere in the EU. This deal was so good I couldn't refuse it.

It takes about 4.5 hours to completely heat up the boiler and uses 250 Watts (COP is about 3.2). Filling up the entire boiler, according to the manual, should only take 0.99 KWh from 10 degrees C to 55 degrees C.

Using the touchscreen is easy and there are various programme options. I feel like the noise it produces is acceptable, however it is much louder than the on-demand gas heater.

Would I buy it for the full price or even half priced? Probably not, the savings of this unit are not going to be huge. However it has brought us very close to going full electric and dumping our natural gas grid connection.

Ator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ator For This Useful Post:
ctgottapee (06-20-17)
Old 06-20-17, 10:14 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nice unit. I would not mind picking up something like that down the road. If they make it here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 06:42 AM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Ator,

Nice find. Even better value. If you use hot water, the return on investment will be super short. I hope you keep this thread updated on the actual performance and running cost, maintenance issues, and such over time.

The picture looks real nice, but what do you really own? I saw Panasonic has been producing a line called Aquarea, which this product would fit into. What line and model number of product do you actually have?

http://www.aircon.panasonic.eu/GR_el...c-aquarea-dhw/

It would be nearly impossible for me to justify building a custom made unit if I could buy a new one for the price you quoted. For 100 euro, I would spend some of the savings on having the unit installed by a licensed contractor.

Last edited by jeff5may; 06-22-17 at 05:26 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 08:23 AM   #4
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Default Paw-dhwm80znt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Nice find. Even better value. If you use hot water, the return on investment will be super short. I hope you keep this thread updated on the actual performance and running cost, maintenance issues, and such over time.
I'm going to hook the unit up to a kill-a-watt and will be posting my experiences. Would be great if this thread could give some extra info on this product group. There is very limited information on these units available on the internet.

The ROI is not going to be super fast, but the luxury of some extra cooling in the summer, instant hot water and the resale value of the unit make it worth a while.

Quote:
The picture looks real nice, but what do you really own? I saw Panasonic has been producing a line called Aquarea, which this product would fit into. What line and model number of product do you actually have?
The model is: PAW-DHWM80ZNT (The same unit is sold by Gorenje under the name TC80ZNT). This particular model is sold in 80,100 and 120L. I feel that 80L is more than plenty for our household. (2 Persons) Bigger units are not that much more expensive, but the compressor stays the same size. So the time to heat up increases.

Quote:
It would be nearly impossible for me to justify building a custom made unit if I could buy a new one for the price you quoted. For 100 euro, I would spend some of the savings on having the unit installed by a licensed contractor.
The install was surprisingly easy, basically just fix it onto a wall and hook up cold & hot water lines, safety valve and a condense water drain. I also put some noise damping material between the wall and the unit, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps. What still needs to be done is exhaust the cold air; however with summer I'm not in a rush.

It's also pretty difficult to find a contractor that knows his way around one of these units. Most of the Netherlands uses on-demand gas boilers and new houses use split-systems. This all made me decide to do it with a buddy of mine.
Old 06-21-17, 08:35 AM   #5
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Default The Numbers + Photo's

Of course you all are wondering when this investment is going to make sense. So therefore I did a quick calculation for you all. Also some photo's

The current electricity rates in the Netherlands are about €0.18/KWh and gas is about €0.58/m3 on average.

My on-demand water heater had an efficiency of 67% and the caloric value of gas is 35MJ/m3. Which means that the old heater cost €0.025/MJ.

1 KWh costs €0.18 and contains 3.6MJ. So computing all of that means that a COP of 2.02 is the break even point.

The unit should be capable of a COP of 3.1 with an inlet temperature of 15 C. This will pretty much be always possible, since the unit is using the exhaust air to heat up the water.

So with that in mind the cost savings should be some 50%, of course this is without standby losses. I have no idea how much these losses actually are. So if someone could help me out with that it would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.jpg
Views:	1472
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	7801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	7802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	1464
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	7803  

Last edited by Daox; 06-21-17 at 11:30 AM..
jeff5may (06-22-17)
Old 06-21-17, 10:37 AM   #6
Zwerius
Helper EcoRenovator

Ator,
Kun je me naam en adres geven van waar je de unit hebt gekocht?
Daar heb ik ook wel belangstelling voor....

m.vr.gr.,
Zwerius Kriegsman.
geen energierekening meer: energie + woonhuis van de fam. Kriegsman in Ootmarsum
Zwerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 03:22 PM   #7
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwerius View Post
Ator,
Kun je me naam en adres geven van waar je de unit hebt gekocht?
Daar heb ik ook wel belangstelling voor....

m.vr.gr.,
Zwerius Kriegsman.
geen energierekening meer: energie + woonhuis van de fam. Kriegsman in Ootmarsum

I bought it at: https://tuclimatizaciononline.es/bom...dhwm80znt.html but there are more suppliers in Europe in the Netherlands, France, Germany ect. A short google search for this model will give you some prices. International shipping wasn't included so you have to ask them first before ordering.

The list of heat pumps and the amount of subsidy can be found here: http://www.rvo.nl/sites/default/file...rmtepompen.pdf

Stuur me een PM als je nog specifiek vragen hebt, help je graag verder!
Old 06-23-17, 01:18 AM   #8
Zwerius
Helper EcoRenovator

Ator,

Thanks.
How can I send a PM to you?
Can't seem to find this option.
Zwerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 12:38 PM   #9
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Default Usage

I've been running the unit for 10 days now and I can't say I'm not satisfied with it. I thought you might want to see some numbers.

Using the water for showering and washing some dishes; the unit reheated the water in 01:58 hours using a mere 0.332kWh. That's only €0,06 cents per day. The day was extraordinarily warm for our climate (>28 degrees C), so we have to see whether this will be possible in winter too.

I also plotted the temperature increase and the power consumed over time. Feel like it's an interesting relationship, which I guess shows that the last 5 degrees C the unit is operating at max power (250W + Fan). Wonder how that affects COP.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	7811  
Old 08-15-17, 10:27 AM   #10
Ator
Lurking Renovator

Default Usage Update

The unit has been running over 2 months now, so I thought it would be time to post a usage update. Combined with the previous posts it should give everyone a good idea of the operating costs and savings with this unit.

The average daily usage is about 0.5 kWh. This consists of 0.4 kWh per day and once every 14 days a Legionella prevention programme: About 2 kWh (75 Degrees C). I would guess that yearly usage will be around 200 kWh.

This is for 2 people and only includes shower and tap water. We have a Hansgrohe Eco showerhead (might be worth a separate review) and only really use warm water to wash the stuff that doesn't fit in the dishwasher: so we don't use that much water.

The unit is quite noisy standing next to it, but with the door closed I don't notice it. I'm also still very happy with the easy controls, it's a breeze changing anything.

We cut our hot water costs in half in comparison to the on demand gas heater. So all in all I would recommend the unit!

where2 (08-15-17)