EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-21, 12:02 PM   #21
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

So for some reason on my power companies website, the comparison page is missing. In dollars though, my bill was $90 Less this month than January of 2020. ($200 vs $112)

Now you may be thinking that we must have a sealed house. That is not true and here is why. We have not turned on our HVAC for a few months. NO HEAT! And that is what is so frustrating about this month's bill. That $112 bucks is all plugins. I can not really control for that with insulation.

My big expense is my hot water heater. I actually bought new insulation for it last month and rewrapped it. I did not have my sense last Dec. so I do not know what it was using. This billing cycle though it used 200KWH!!!! That alone is 24.5 percent of my electricity for this month. Now usually is uses around 3 kWh a day. I keep an eye on that as it is older. Well, yesterday it used 6.5 kWh. It has never used that much in one day.

The unit itself is 9-10 years old. Last January I cleaned it out and changed the elements. I am going to clean it out again, and I think I will switch the elements as I know the bottom one does most of the work (I think) Either way I think switching them during a service is a good idea. My Anode rod seems to be on the outlet line. I have never changed ANY anode rod before, but this one seems tricky. The videos that I watch all have the anode rod that is separate. Also, I know that I will have to cut the old rod with a grinder and the new one will have to be segmented so it can go in because I have very little clearance above the tank. Anyone ever done this before with this type of system?

Anyway that is my update

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-13 10_24_29-PRO.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	9136  
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 12:17 PM   #22
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yup electric waterheaters cost far more to operate than the general public realizes. Usually you can assume it costs about $50 a month to operate for a typical household.

We will be going with a heatpump waterheater when I move the waterheater during the remodel. Use less electricity, cool and dehumidify the air yes please...

As for the anode rod. If your water eats it away quickly most likely you won't have much of it left and it will just come right out. If there is any left it'll probably be thin enough to just bend. If it's bigger than that then it probably doesn't need to be replaced yet.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 01:38 PM   #23
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
Yup electric water heaters cost far more to operate than the general public realizes. .
YES! I lived in an appartment prior to owning this home. I lived in this apartment for 11 years. It had a gas water heater(HWH). The HWH was the only gas appliance, in fact, the HWH was stored outside, in the laundry room. In the summertime here in PHX, I just turned it completely off. Shower after 8 am and it was a perfect temp... If you showered in the afternoon, it was too hot to "cool" you, but it still got you clean. The point is, I didn't even use the gas in the summer. My highest gas bill ever was 19 bucks. Probably averaged around 4 dollars a month year-round. In 11 years in that apartment, I NEVER once used the heater (which was electric anyway). My cat however would sleep on a small heating pad.
Old 02-10-21, 06:51 PM   #24
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Today was a big surprise. This is the first bill we have had under 100 bucks. Quite a savings over the same month last year. Over $40 in saving and my wife still won't give me a cookie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-02-10 17_49_44-aps – Arizona Public Service Electric.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	9200  
Old 03-03-21, 12:54 PM   #25
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Here is another thing about the sense device. Since it is connected to their servers, you get a comparison between all sense homes. Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sense_report.JPEG
Views:	409
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	9237  
Old 03-24-21, 01:26 AM   #26
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Another good surprise. We have another bill, the lowest in history as far as this house is concerned. It takes a lot of discipline to not use power between 3 and 8 pm. I had to install a wifi-enabled outlet on the washer and I have it turned off between those hours. No more "accidents".Hope your spring is going as well as mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-03-23 .jpg
Views:	380
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	9270  
Old 03-24-21, 01:37 AM   #27
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

The water heater was most used. Here is a youtube video showing a breakdown

Old 04-04-21, 01:39 PM   #28
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

One really good use of those is being able to record usage on a separate panel like a panel for a shop where you have the ability to write off the electrical usage on your business taxes.

I would like to know how much power I use in my shop so I could have an idea of the impact on the overall house bill. here is no way to use it to save electricity as there isn't anything you can cut back on. The air compressor is the biggest user followed by the AC which isn't really as bad as you would think, though it's an undersized 2 ton window unit. Really need another ton of AC in there.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 08:00 PM   #29
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Savings of 22 bucks this month... and another month just barely under a hundred. My wife came home and asked me to turn on the Air Conditioning today. I said, "I'm good" and she dropped it. Rare that she asks me, but I just have ice water. Think cool thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2021-04-25 17_56_26-aps – Arizona Public Service Electric.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	9278  
Old 08-07-21, 02:37 PM   #30
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

So, something interesting. I have the ecobee. With that device, there is no way to set the AC to come on at a specific time. I have looked into this quite a bit and can find no solutions.

With my power company we have a time of use plan, and between 3pm and 8pm are our highest prices on electricity usage. Ideally I would run the AC during those hours for 10 minutes each hour and keep the house at a more even temp. As it is now, I go from a 75F setting at 2pm to an 82F setting at 3 where it remains until 8PM.

The problem is the AC takes a longer time to recover at 8 and we are pretty uncomfortable from 3 to 8. To combat this I tried something a bit different. There is a setting to keep the air circulating with just the fan on. I have the fan running 24/7. Also I changed the temp for that time period from 82 to 80. We have been more comfortable as you can imagine. The hit to the power bill was 6 bucks more this month than the same month last year. I think Six bucks is worth it. OH, and according to Sense, my fan uses 100 watts an hour to use. No perfect but not bad.