EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-13, 10:37 PM   #31
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I found the manual online and it has a 180 min timer that should do it for most things.
We cook spaghetti almost once a week so it will get boiling water work out

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 11:41 PM   #32
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I found the manual online and it has a 180 min timer that should do it for most things.
We cook spaghetti almost once a week so it will get boiling water work out
Should do quite nicely for that.

Some of the hype can lead people to think that water will boil in just a very few minutes. That is true if you have a very small amount of water. What is true is that with a regular resistance electric, you have the ramp-up time for the element to get hot, and then the ramp-up time for the cookware to get hot. With induction, the ramp-up time of the element is eliminated, but the ramp-up time of the bottom of the cookware is still a factor. So the time to get water to boil is shorter, but it is still a matter of physics to make a goodly-size pot of water boil.

One thing that isn't in the hype is that when you reduced power, you reduce heat immediately, or very close to it. This might not matter to your style of cooking, but there are styles of cooking (French sauces, for instance) where it is very important.

And it seems that the big-buck units have precisely calibrated temperature settings. Your unit may not be as precise, but it will be consistent from one time to the next... there'll be some learning to do.

I tell you, I was kind of hesitant going from a film camera to a digital camera, but it was after I got the digital camera, and had owned it for a while that I realized that I hadn't shot a roll of film in over a year. Same story with induction. It isn't perfect, and it doesn't do everything better, but I rarely use my gas stove anymore, it just about all induction for me now.

-AC
Old 12-02-13, 09:55 AM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We picked up a new set of pans T-fal Stainless Steel “Suitable for use with induction cooking surfaces”
T-fal Stainless Steel Elegance 10-Piece Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com
We heated up peas in one min. very cool. I cooked some soup it did well but I need to turn it down sooner.
I think the adjustment could go lower on low but cooking soup for hours really showed the power savings.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-02-13 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-02-13, 04:50 PM   #34
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
We heated up peas in one min. very cool. I cooked some soup it did well but I need to turn it down sooner.
I think the adjustment could go lower on low but cooking soup for hours really showed the power savings.
Sounds good!

I have a T-fal pan too. It works.

My fav is from Ikea... what ever works is good.

I really like the built in timer on induction hobs... it has saved my flakey bachelor brain from forgetting to watch the pot more times than I can count.

Does yours have a temperature control & a power control? That would be nice.

I like my budget induction hobs so well that I found a used top of the line hob for a fraction (still not cheap) on ebay. It should be here any day... early xmas for me... I'm not sure Santa is into induction cooking yet.

Report to follow.

Best,

-AC
Old 12-02-13, 06:37 PM   #35
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes mine has temp control but I have not tried it yet. I boiled spaghetti tonight I started with hot water from the tap today and it boiled very fast. I put the noodles in but it did not even slow down the boiling. It saved time and energy.
Old 12-05-13, 11:54 PM   #36
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have done a lot more cooking with it. It is now my wife’s go to. She likes it as much as I do.
I heated soup today on 3 like 2 min. It heats vegetables supper fast. At this point I am amazed that they aren’t selling more induction stoves.
Old 12-06-13, 12:18 AM   #37
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
At this point I am amazed that they aren’t selling more induction stoves.
I know what you mean.

They have been around for quite a while.

Induction tea kettle, 1909

The light bulb caught on pretty fast.

My new (used) hob arrived today. It doesn't seem to have the temperature accuracy I was led to expect it would have. I'm going to work with it awhile longer, but I might need to send it back.

-AC

-AC
Old 01-31-14, 02:42 PM   #38
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have had our bought Max Burton 6200 Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop for a while now we use it every day. We put 1 ˝ cup of hot water to boil it is quicker than the microwave. About 30 seconds.

I would like to get an Induction stove at some point
Old 01-31-14, 07:18 PM   #39
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
We have had our bought Max Burton 6200 Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop for a while now we use it every day. We put 1 ˝ cup of hot water to boil it is quicker than the microwave. About 30 seconds.
Yeah, it doesn't take long to get used to how well they work.

Quote:
I would like to get an Induction stove at some point
I saw a photograph of a kitchen in New York, where they were using all induction cookers. The cookers were like your, only commercial-duty, so they could stand up to very heavy use.

They were arranged side by side on a long metal table which was against a wall, and there was storage underneath the table. I didn't see any ovens, but if there were any, they were in another part of the kitchen.

The whole thing made me re-think "stove", and are they really designed for the way I cook?

Because, most stoves have an integral oven, underneath... which is exactly the place where you should be able to reach down and get pots and pans.

I use an oven so seldom, that it could just as well be in the garage.

-AC
Old 01-31-14, 08:30 PM   #40
greif
a van down by the river

My coworkers wife bought the nuwave and they loved. She had the ha bit of setting on top the stove to use it. Turned in on one day walked away and a few minutes later the house was filling with plastic burning smoke...... she turned on the stove burner under the nuwave and not the nuwave itself. He quickly unplugged and grabbed mitts and tossed it in the sink....had melted the bottom of the nuwave... lucky

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote