EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-09, 11:37 PM   #1
Skerz
Lurking Renovator

Default APC Cork Flooring

Just finished up replacing the carpet in the basement with cork flooring after taking on water. Relatively easy DIY install, as I had no previous experience, tongue and groove. We are happy with the end result and glad we went with the higher quality planks that are 3-ply floating (Top layer cork w/ poly - Middle layer pressed cardboard - bottom layer cork)...the 1 ply glue down tiles just wouldn't have work well in this application (used these in the laundry room.

When using the glue down tiles one must wait until the mastic is ALMOST completely dry because if the glue isn't ALMOST set up and dry it will be absorbed into cork and will result in curling edges of the tile.

3 ply planks were approx. $3.25/sq foot on clearance.
1 ply glue down tiles approx. $0.65/ sq foot.

Last edited by Daox; 12-23-09 at 05:41 AM..
Skerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 06:25 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Skerz!

The floor looks great. How does the cork feel? How are you liking it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 11:02 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I've installed stuff like that before and it's pretty nice, I've also been told that you don't really have any options after the 15-20 year finish wears off of it, this is not completely true! a friend of mine has some that was installed in the late 1960's that was looking pretty rough, we scrubbed it with soap and water then took a steam carpet vac and sucked all the crud out of the cracks, repeated until it looked clean, then finished it with a water based polyurethane floor finish, that was about 3 years ago, with kids and a dog and it still looks great.
Cork is nice for areas that you plan to stand alot, like kitchens, because it has some give.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 09:13 PM   #4
Skerz
Lurking Renovator

I have read in several places that you can add poly whenever needed as long as the surface if uniformily abraded with a "scotch" pad.

The planks are pretty rigid. We have some wrought iron coffeee/end tables w/ heavyglass tops and they have not created any indentions so far. They have the feel of a typical floating engineered wood floor. The glue down tiles are not as resilient and show the indentions with very little weight/pressure but the "pop" back out within minutes of moving the object.

So far, 3 months, they have held up better than I expected and show little to no wear/deep scratches from a bulldog and 4 year old daughter.

The few examples of cork flooring I have seen first hand actually takes on some cool character via natural color changes if exposed to direct sunlight and years of wear and tear.
Old 12-04-09, 01:45 PM   #5
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

My wife and I are seriously considering cork for our kitchen and dining room. Your floor looks great.

How is it for sound obsorbtion?
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:21 AM   #6
Higgy
The Gardener

Nice job. Can you take a closer up picture of the cork?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 09:28 PM   #7
Skerz
Lurking Renovator

Old 12-26-09, 11:40 AM   #8
Higgy
The Gardener

Was I just blind or did you put in that shot after?

Either way I like it. How does it feel as far as comfort on the feet? And what about warm or cold compared to maybe hardwood or tile?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 12:28 PM   #9
Skerz
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Was I just blind or did you put in that shot after?

Either way I like it. How does it feel as far as comfort on the feet? And what about warm or cold compared to maybe hardwood or tile?

I snuck it in after you requested it.

It feels very similar to "soft" hardwood. We put it down over concrete in our basement w/vapor barrier and it is a better insulator [warm and cool] than the carpet that it replaced.
Old 04-09-10, 12:01 AM   #10
mouse
Lurking Renovator

That is a nice looking floor.

Is cork eco-friendly though? I've heard it can be done in sustainable ways, but I have also heard about cork forests being harvested and not surviving

mouse is offline   Reply With Quote