EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-12, 08:16 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default low flow faucet aerators

This weekend I visited some friends who recently moved into thier first house. While we were there I mentioned a few simple and easy things to do off our 60+ energy saving tips list. We ended up picking up a programmable thermostat and some seal'n peal (removable caulk) for his single pane windows.

We were also going to pickup some faucet aerators, but I didn't find anything remotely as low flow as you can pickup online. So, I'm just curious what most of you would recommend. It seems the standard aerator you can get at the store is ~2 gpm. I've checked amazon and you can get down to .5 gpm aerators.

In my kitchen I just use what I had, its probably a 2 gpm aerator there. I'm fine with that because you use that faucet to fill pots and things and you don't want to wait forever to fill them up. However, in the bathrooms you don't need high flow so IMO the lower the better. But, I haven't bothered replacing those either (I just don't turn it on full blast).

Anyways, I'm going to order a few for myself and some for him (in addition to a 1.25 gpm niagara earth showerhead, I love those). But, I'd like some input from others on what to get and why. What are you using and do you love it or hate it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-13-12 at 08:18 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 09:36 AM   #2
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I use 2 gallon/minute simply because that was the lowest at Home Depot.
The shower is 2.5 gallon/minute, still too much so I cut back with the flow control diverter
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 10:45 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Is nobody using low flow faucet aerators?

&
Old 03-02-12, 12:31 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

My gas company sent me some 1.5gpm sink aeroraters and two 1.5gpm showerheads for free. I'm using the showerheads but when I want hot water from the sink or fill a pot, I end up waiting too long(2.2gpm is 40 seconds in the bathroom and 25 in the kitchen) so the standard 2.2gpm works for me.

Do you want my 1.5gpm faucet aerators? PM me if you want me to ship one or both for the cost of shipping. ...or I'll give them to you(free) if we meet up in late July.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 01:19 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

That brings up a good point. I was hoping to replace the faucet upstairs. With the water heater in the basement thats going to be a longer wait and its already long. Perhaps I'll just order a few and see what works well where and do a little write up on it.

&
Old 03-03-12, 10:34 PM   #6
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Is nobody using low flow faucet aerators?
I've had them for over 10 years on both kitchen and bathroom sinks.