EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-12, 06:36 PM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default Indoor air quality discussion

Indoor air quality is the last major area of concern in the design and construction low energy demand retirement addition to our existing weekend home. It is a major one that is only an issue for our heating season when closing the designed air tight enveloped living space is not well ventilated by air infiltration or open windows/doors. I know air/air HX's are proposed to be the solution but I am not sold on that for a modest low heat demand space. Their high commercial cost and installation, working life span and design problems in very cold climates(frosting) makes them questionable of being cost effective. Methods to eliminate frosting add to the cost. Energy saving and efficiency percentages are relative. A 50% are something of a $1,000. heat bill but not a $30. one if it cost $1,000.'s to do so.

When a heated space becomes insulated/air tight enough heating required air exchange becomes the sigficant factor so minimizing it need is an important goal. DIY air/air HX should make it less costly and that is being discussed in another thread. I would like to disscuss/explore other possible means or reduction of the needed exchange amounts for a heathy living space that might eliminate HX's or at less make a less efficient easier/cheaper DIY recovery HX buildable.

Some points of discussion: -eliminating/minimizing pollution sources VOC's, radon, etc. -solar daytime fresh air heating thru collectors. -storage of daytime solar energy to warm fresh air at night. -amount of fresh air needed thru night time vs day time. I am interested in anything on this topic. I just believe there is an more practical path to go for low energy demand space.

For my project of 8,000. cubic feet of space the ASHRAE recommended minimum exchange rate of .35 ACH would require heating 67,000 cu' of air every 24hrs. I need to calculate how many BTU's that needs especially as my heat source is radiant which doesn't need to heat the air as much to feel the same temp. to get an idea what is a reasonable amount to pay to offset just taking in fresh air.

I've always lived with the maxim "The best way to save a dollar is
not to need to spend it".

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote